Doodh pak is a traditional Gujarati sweet dish made with milk, rice, and dry fruits. Traditionally in doodh pak, milk is slow-boiled to thicken, flavored with cardamom and jaiphal powder. But in this recipe, I made milk powder-based mawa which is easily prepared and gives creaminess and thickness instantly to doodhpak. It is really delicious and enjoyed best with poori. Do try this!
- use a heavy-bottomed pan or nonstick pan to prepare this recipe. Otherwise, milk may cream may stick to the bottom and you may have a burnt smell.
- I made flour and milk powder-based mawa to give thickness and creaminess to doodh pak but you can use milk powder or condensed milk instead of mawa.
- When rice is completely cooked then add milk powder mawa into doodhpak, otherwise rice is not properly cooked.
- chilled doodh pak for a minimum of 2 hrs before serving.
Doodh pak recipe | how to make Gujarati dudh pak | Gujarati doodh pak
For doodh pak
- 1 litre full fat milk
- 2 tbsp rice
- 1 tbsp ghee
- 5 tbsp sugar
- 2 tbsp pistachio
- 8-10 almonds
- 8-10 cashews
- 1 tbsp charoli
- 1 tsp cardamom powder
- 1 tsp jayphal powder
For instant mawa
- 1 tbsp ghee
- ¼ cup milk
- ½ cup milk powder
- Soak rice and dry fruits in slightly hot water for 15 minutes. Remove water and cut dry fruit into slices.
- In a pan, add ghee and rice. Sauté rice for 2 minutes.
- Now add milk and bring it to a boil.
- Keep the flame medium and simmer it till the rice is thoroughly cooked. Stir occasionally.
- Meanwhile, in a pan, add ghee and milk. When the milk starts boiling reduce the flame to low and add milk powder gradually. Stir continuously to prevent lump formation.
- Stir and cook until the mixture thickens and leaves the pan’s sides. Instant mawa is ready.
- When rice is thoroughly cooked then add instant mawa to it. Mix well.
- Doodh pak quickly starts to thicken.
- Then add sugar, chopped dry fruits, and charoli. Mix well and boil for 5 minutes until sugar is completely melted and dry fruits flavor is added to doodh pak.
- Lastly, add cardamom powder and jayphal powder. Mix well.
- Switch off the flame
- Cool down the doodh pak completely or refrigerate it for 2 hrs. Serve.
- instant mawa gives thickness and creaminess to doodhpak.
- When rice is completely cooked then add mawa and sugar into the doodhpak.
- Chilled doodhpak into the refrigerator it for 2 hrs before serving.