Doodh poha is simple Gujarati milk based dessert recipe prepared with rice flakes or poha and sugar. It is a traditional milk kheer recipe prepared mainly during the sharad purnima or as part of celebration feast. In this recipe I made regular and flavored cassata doodh poha. Both are easy to make and ready in just 15 minutes with one secret ingredient. It is really delicious, do try this!
- Use heavy bottomed pan or non stick pan to prepare this recipe. Otherwise, milk may stick to bottom and you may have burnt smell.
- i have used medium thick poha for this recipe and i heavily recommend the same to use. The thin can easily dissolve in milk and thus you may not have any crunchy effects from the doodh poha.
- I use milk powder to give thickness and creaminess to doodh poha but you can use cashew paste or condense milk instead of milk powder.
- Lastly, chillied doodh poha for minimum 1 hrs before to serve.
Doodh poha recipe | sharad purnima special doodh poha | instant poha kheer recipe
For doodh pak
- 1 litre full fat milk
- 1 cup poha thick
- 1 tsp ghee
- 5 tbsp sugar or as per taste
- 7-8 almonds slits
- 7-8 pistachio slits
- 4 tbsp or ¼ cup milk powder
- ¼ tsp cardamom powder
For cassata doodh poha
- 1 tsp rose sharbat or your choice of sharbat or essence
- 2 tbsp tutti futti
- In a heavy bottom pan, add some water and 1 litre milk. Bring it to boil.
- Keep the flame medium and simmer it for 5 minutes.
- Meanwhile in a pan, add ghee and dry fruit slits. Roast it for 2 minutes and keep it aside.
- Now in the same pan, add poha and roast it slightly on medium flame.
- Then add roasted poha into milk. Boil on medium flame for 10 minutes or till poha softens.
- When poha is completely cooked then add sugar in it. Mix well.
- Meanwhile in a bowl, add milk powder and 3 tbsp milk. Mix well and make a lump free mixture.
- Add milk powder mixture into doodh poha and mix well. Instantly doodh pak became thick and creamy.
- Lastly, add cardamom powder and dry fruits. Mix well.
- Switch off the flame
- Cool down doodh poha completely on room temperature.
- For cassata doodh poha, take some doodh poha into another bowl.
- Add rose sharbat and some tutti futti in it. Mix well.
- Rose flavored cassata doodh poha is ready.
- Finally, Serve doodh poha hot or chilled.
- proportion of poha should be 1 cup for 1 litre milk.
- use medium thick poha (or batata poha) for doodh poha, do not use nylon poha.
- roasted poha are more flavourful and do not stick each other while cooking it.
- when poha is completely cook then add sugar in doodhpoha.
- milk powder gives thickness and creaminess to doodhpoha.