Dosa khakhra or dry dosa is a crispy and tasty tea-time snack recipe made with rava, besan, and regular spices. it is an extremely simple recipe with instant dosa batter. I share the perfect ingredient ratio and a few no-fail tips to help you to make perfect dosa khakhra on the first attempt. It also has a very long shelf life and can be stored in an airtight container for months. Do try this!
- Firstly, take an equal proportion of Rava and gram flour (besan) for dosa batter. Also, make sure to blend Rava with besan to a fine powder helping to get crispy dosa khakhra.
- nimbu na phool (citric acid) helps to increase the shelf life of dosa khakhra. You can use lemon juice instead of it.
- dosa batter is should be medium thick and coated. It should easily flow and spread on tawa.
- Baking soda is used for instant fermentation into dosa batter. You can use eno instead of it.
- for even texture of dosa khakhra, gently rub the bowl on slightly cooked dosa. Also to make the dosa thin and crispy, remove the extra part from the cooked dosa with a slightly wet spoon (tavitha)
- cook dosa khakhra on low flame till it becomes crispy and golden brown color on both the sides.
- Lastly, Dosa khakhra stays good for 1-2 in an airtight container.
Dosa khakhra | dry dosa | how to make dry dosa | paper dosa
- 1 cup rava semolina/suji
- 1 cup gram flour besan
- Salt to taste
- ½ tsp nimbu na phool citric acid
- 1 +1/4 cup water or as required
- ¼ tsp baking soda
- Butter or oil for roasting dosa
- In a mixture jar, add rava (semolina), gram flour (besan), salt, and nimbu na phool. Grind it.
- Add grinded mixture into mixing bowl. add water gradually and make the smooth, medium thick, and pouring consistency of the batter.
- Cover and rest it for 15-20 minutes so the rava will puff up.
- Then add a pinch of baking soda and some water to it. Mix well.
- Now heat a tawa, sprinkle water and wipe it with a cloth and cool down the temperature of the tawa.
- Take 1 ladle of batter and spread it on tawa.
- Apply butter on dosa and gently rub bowl on slightly cooked dosa for its even texture.
- Then to make the dosa thin and crispy, remove the extra part from the cooked dosa with a slightly wet spoon (tavitha).
- Apply some butter again to it and cook dosa khakhra on low flame till become crispy and golden brown on both sides.
- Cut dosa khakhra into 4 pieces and make all dosa khakhra in the same way.
- For masala dosa khakhra, Heat a tawa and pour a ladle full of batter. Spread it in a circular direction to make it to thin dosa.
- When the upper surface of the dosa becomes dry then spread some oil on it.
- gently rub bowl on slightly cooked dosa and remove the extra part from cooked dosa with a slightly wet spoon
- Then in a bowl, add black salt, red chili powder, and chaat masala. mix well and sprinkle dosa khakhra.
- Cut masala dosa khakhra into 4 pieces and make them all in the same way.
- Serve or store dosa khakhra in an air-tight container for 1-2 months.
- dosa batter is a medium thick and pouring consistency.
- whisk batter for 2-3 minutes so air particles incorporate in it and it becomes light and fluffy.
- before spreading dosa, sprinkle some water and decrease the temperature of dosa tawa. lower the gas flame while spreading dosa.
- cook dosa on low flame till it becomes crispy from both sides.
- store dosa khakhra in an air-tight container.