Lauki chana dal is a tasty and healthy curry prepared with bottle gourd, Bengal gram, tomatoes, and a few spices. This sabji can be prepared simply and quickly in a pressure cooker provided you have soaked the dal earlier. The best part is that this no-fuss recipe is made with ingredients that you are sure to have at home! Serve it along with roti or rice for a weekday lunch or dinner.
I have shared a perfect ingredient ratio and a few no-fail tips to help you to make perfect dudhi chana dal shak on the first attempt. Do try it today.
Please do visit my other related recipe collection like
Dudhi chana dal | lauki chana dal sabzi | lauki chana dal in pressure cooker
- 500 grm or 3 cup bottle gourd - lauki / dudhi
- ½ cup chana dal
- 4 tbsp oil
- 1 tsp cumin seeds
- Pinch of hing
- 2-3 chopped green chilli
- ½ tsp turmeric powder
- 1.5 tsp red chilli powder
- 1 tsp cumin powder
- 1 tsp coriander powder
- 1.5 cup chopped tomatoes
- Salt to taste
- 1.5 cup water
- ½ tsp garam masala
- 1 tbsp jaggery
- 1 tsp lemon juice
- Some coriander leaves
- Wash and soak chana dal in slightly hot water for 30 minutes.
- Peel and cut dudhi pieces into medium size and keep it in water.
- In a pressure cooker, add oil, cumin seeds, hing and chopped green chilli. Sauté for a minute.
- Then lower the flame and add turmeric powder, red chilli powder, cumin powder, and coriander powder. Mix well.
- Now add tomatoes and sauté till it becomes slightly soft.
- Then add dudhi pieces, chana dal and salt. Sauté it for 2-3 minutes.
- Add 1.5 water and mix well. Cover the cooker with a lid. Cook on medium heat for 5 whistles.
- Let the pressure go down by itself then open the lid.
- Then add garam masala and jaggery. Mix well
- Switch off the flame, and add lemon juice and some coriander leaves.
- Serve dudhi chana dal nu shak with roti or rice.
- soak dal in slightly hot water.
- to avoid the oxidation process, keep dudhi pieces in water.
- sauté masala in the oil gives a nice color to sabji.
- cook sabji on a medium flame for 5 whistles.