Lauki chana dal is a tasty and healthy curry prepared with bottle gourd, Bengal gram, tomatoes, and few spices. This subji can be prepared simply and quickly in a pressure cooker provided you have soaked the dal earlier. The best part is that this no-fuss recipe is made with ingredients that you are sure to have at home! Serve it along with roti or rice for a weekday lunch or dinner.
I have share the perfect ingredient ratio and a few no-fail tips to help you to make the perfect dudhi chana dal shak on the first attempt. Do try it today.
Recipe card for dudhi chana dal sabzi
- 500 grm or 3 cup bottle gourd lauki / dudhi
- ½ cup chana dal
- 4 tbsp oil
- 1 tsp cumin seeds
- Pinch of hing
- 2-3 chopped green chilli
- ½ tsp turmeric powder
- 1.5 tsp red chilli powder
- 1 tsp cumin powder
- 1 tsp coriander powder
- 1.5 cup chopped tomatoes
- Salt to taste
- 1.5 cup water
- ½ tsp garam masala
- 1 tbsp jaggery
- 1 tsp lemon juice
- Some coriander leaves
- Wash and soak chana dal into slightly hot water for 30 minutes.
- Peel and cut dudhi pieces into medium size and keep it in water.
- In a pressure cooker, add oil, cumin seeds, hing, and chopped green chili. Sauté for a minute.
- Then lower the flame and add turmeric powder, red chili powder, cumin powder, and coriander powder. Mix well.
- Now add tomatoes and sauté till it becomes slightly soft.
- Then add dudhi pieces, chana dal, and salt. Sauté it for 2-3 minutes.
- Add 1.5 water and mix well. Cover the cooker with a lid. Cook on medium heat for 5 whistles.
- Let the pressure go down by itself then open the lid.
- Then add garam masala and jaggery. Mix well
- Switch off the flame, and add lemon juice and some coriander leaves.
- Serve dudhi chana dal nu shak with roti or rice.
- soak dal into slightly hot water.
- to avoid the oxidation process, keep dudhi pieces in water.
- sauté masala in oil gives nice color to sabji.
- cook sabji on medium flame for 5 whistles.