Dudhi halwa is a traditional Indian dessert made from bottled gourd, sugar, and milk. It is flavored with cardamom powder and garnished with chopped nuts like almonds, raisins, and cashews. It is rich, creamy, and easy to make at home. Dudhi halwa is a classic dessert for any festival, but also high in nutrition and fiber and hence ideal for fasting.
In this recipe, I made dudhi halwa in a pressure cooker with a perfect ingredient ratio and a few no-fail tips to help you to make perfect halwa on the first attempt.
Please do visit my other related recipe collection like
Dudhi halwa| lauki ka halwa recipe | loki ka halwa recipe
- 500 grm grated dudhi/bottle gourd /lauki
- ¼ cup + 1 tbsp ghee
- 130 grm or ¾ cup sugar
- 50 or ¾ cup mawa optional
- 6-7 cashews
- 6-7 almonds
- 2 tbsp raisins
- ½ tsp cardamom powder
- Pinch of green food color optional
- Peel and grate dudhi with a big hole grater.
- Heat ghee in a pressure cooker, add grated lauki, and saute for 5 minutes.
- Sprinkle some water and saute lauki till it shrinks, is slightly transparent, and becomes soft.
- add in ¾ cup milk and mix well.
- Cover the lid and pressure cook for 1 whistle on medium flame.
- Release pressure naturally and open the lid.
- further, add in ¾ cup sugar and mix well.
- sugar melts and boils for 5 minutes or till it thickens.
- Meanwhile, heat ghee in a pan, add cashew and almond. Roast for a minute. Then add raisins and roast them.
- Add roasted dry fruit and khoya into lauki mixture and mix well.
- keep stirring till the mixture thickens and forms a mass.
- add in ½ tsp cardamom powder. mix well.
- Add a pinch of green food color (optional) and mix well.
- transfer dudhi halwa / lauki halwa to a small plate (or bowl) and serve hot or chilled.