Dudhi halwa is a traditional Indian dessert made from bottled gourd, sugar, and milk which is flavored with cardamom powder and garnished with dry fruits. This lauki halwa recipe does not need any addition of khoya or mawa. The process of cooking lauki with milk and malai makes halwa rich and creamy. It is a classic desert for any festival, also high in nutrition and fiber and hence ideal for fasting. Do try this!
The key to making tasty lauki halwa at home are
- Firstly choose fresh and medium thick lauki for halwa, also grate lauki only at the sides and do not use the center part of it. else dudhi halwa doesn’t taste good.
- Secondly, I add fresh malai to halwa to give a rich and creamy texture to halwa. you can also add mawa or khoya or milk powder instead of it.
- Lastly, dudhi halwa tastes great when prepared with ghee and served hot.
Dudhi no halvo | doodhi halwa | lauki ka halwa | lauki halwa without khoya
- 500 grm grated dudhi/bottle gourd /lauki
- 3 tbsp + 1 tbsp ghee
- 500 ml milk
- ½ cup fresh malai
- ½ cup sugar as per your taste
- Pinch of green food color optional
- ¼ cup cashew pieces
- ¼ cup almond pieces
- 2 tbsp raisins
- ½ tsp cardamom powder
- Peel and grate dudhi with a big hole grater.
- Heat ghee in a pan, add grated lauki, and saute for 5 minutes or till moisture evaporate from it.
- Meanwhile, in the pan, add milk and bring it to a boil.
- Now add hot milk into lauki mixture and mix well.
- Cover the lid and cook till the milk is absorbed into the lauki.
- Add ½ cup malai and mix well. Cook halwa till malai is completely absorbed in it.
- further, add in ½ cup sugar and a pinch of green food color. mix well.
- sugar melts and boil for 5 minutes or till it thickens.
- Meanwhile, heat ghee in a pan, and add cashew and almond. Roast for a minute. Then add raisins and roast them.
- Add roasted dry fruit and khoya into lauki mixture and mix well.
- keep stirring till the mixture thickens and forms a mass.
- add in ½ tsp cardamom powder. mix well and cook till halwa leaves the sides of the pan.
- dudhi halwa / lauki halwa is ready and served hot or chilled.
- choose dudhi (bottle gourd) with medium thickness and slightly light green in color.
- grate dudhi with a big hole grater.
- sauté dudhi till its moisture evaporate and becomes slightly soft.
- add hot milk into halwa.
- fresh malai gives a creamy texture to halwa.
- roast dry fruit in ghee gives a nice crunchy flavor to it.
- cook halwa till it separate from the sides of the pan.