Fada ni khichdi is a healthy and easy one-pot recipe made with daliya (broken wheat), moong dal, dry spices, and vegetables. It is one of the popular Gujarati khichdi known for its nutrition, taste, and simplicity. In this khichdi you can add your favorite and available vegetables. It is light, good for digestion, and a healthy quick fix meal for children. You can enjoy fada ni khichdi with yogurt raita, papad, and some pickle.
Similar recipe collection
Recipe card for fada khichdi
- ½ cup daliya broken wheat
- ¼ cup moong dal
- 2 tbsp ghee
- 1 tsp mustard seeds
- 1 tsp cumin seeds
- Pinch of hing
- 1 dry red chilli
- Few curry leaves
- ½ tsp ginger paste
- ¼ tsp turmeric powder
- 1 tsp chilli powder
- ½ tsp garam masala
- Salt to taste
- ½ cup carrot
- 2 tbsp green peas
- ½ cup potatoes
- 1 chopped tomatoes
- 2.5 cup water
- Wash and soak daliya and moong dal for 20 minutes. Drain water and keep it aside
- Turn on Geek robocook on strong sauté mode.
- Heat ghee or oil. Add mustard seed, cumin seeds, a pinch of hing, dry red chili, curry leaves, and ginger paste. Sauté for a minute.
- Then add soaked daliya and moong dal mixture. Sauté it for 3 minutes.
- Add turmeric powder, red chili powder, garam masala, and salt. Also add chopped carrot, potatoes, peas, and tomatoes. Mix well.
- Add 2.5 cup water and mix well.
- Cover the electric pressure cooker with a locking lid.
- Cancel sauté mode and select option of khichdi and set the cooker on quick taste or under high pressure.
- Once the electric pressure cooker beeps and on the display screen you see LO:00, turn off the cooker.
- Let the pressure release naturally.
- Open the lid. Fada khichdi is ready.
- Serve khichdi with raita and papad.
- The proportion of moong dal should be half of the broken wheat (daliya)
- Ghee gives a nice flavor to khichdi.
- Sauté daliya and moong dal with ghee helps to puff up daliya easily.
- If you made fada khichdi in a regular cooker, then add 3 cup water instead of 2.5 cup water.