Gujarati mukhwas is a mouth freshener with a touch of nutrition. It is a combination of different seeds like sesame seeds, fennel seeds, flax seeds (alsi), ajwain, Suva seeds, and dhana dal seeds. It has many health benefits and also freshens breath and relieves dry mouth after meals. In this recipe, I share the perfect ingredient ratio and a few tips help to make market-style mukhwas on the first attempt. Do try this!
The key to making tasty Gujarati mukhwas at home are
- Firstly, I use different seeds like sesame seeds, fennel seeds, flax seeds (alsi), ajwain, suva seeds, and dhana dal seeds to make mukhwas healthier. Also, coat the seeds with turmeric and salt water which enhances the taste of the seeds.
- Secondly, roast mukhwas seeds on medium-low flame till it becomes crispy. Do not roast seeds on high flame.
- Lastly, you can store mukhwas in an air-tight container. It tastes great when it is crispy and served after a meal.
Please do visit my other related recipe collection like
Gujarati mukhwas recipe | multi seeds mukhwas recipe | homemade mouth freshener
- 200 grams or 1.5 cups of white sesame seeds
- 100 gram or ¾ cup black sesame seeds
- 100 grams or 1 cup of fennel seeds
- 50 grams or ¼ cup flax seeds - alsi
- 15 grams or 1/8 cup carom seeds - ajwain
- 15 grams or 1/8 cup suva seeds - suva dana
- 150 grams or 1 cup dana dal seeds
- ½ cup grated dry amla - optional
- Turmeric powder
- salt to taste
- water as required
- in a bowl, add white sesame seeds, 1 tsp turmeric, ¾ tbsp salt, and 1-2 tbsp water. Mix well.
- Then in a bowl, add black sesame seeds, salt, and some water. Mix well.
- Now in fennel seeds add ¼ tsp turmeric powder, 1 tsp salt, and some water. Mix well.
- Then in flex seeds, add ½ tsp salt and 1 tsp lemon juice. Mix well.
- Now in a bowl, add ajwain and Suva seeds. Then add ½ tsp salt, ¼ tsp turmeric powder, and some water. Mix well.
- Then dry all ingredients for 30 minutes to 1 hrs.
- Now in a Kadai, roast all seeds on medium flame till they become crispy.
- Mix all roasted seeds and sieve them with a very small hole Jara. (refer to video)
- Then add dhana dal and grated dry amla. Mix well.
- Gujarati mukhwas is ready. Store it in an air-tight container.
- Coat alsi seeds with salt and lemon juice.
- Roast mukhvas ingredients on medium-low flame. Do not roast it on high flame.
- Store mukhvas in an air-tight container. It tastes great when it is crispy and served after a meal.
Subscribe to our Youtube ChannelClick here to subscribe our Youtube Channel and stay updated with our latest video recipes