Vanela Gathiya is a popular Gujrati snack made of gram flour and spices. vanela is a Gujarati word that means rolled. This gathiya made with procedure involves rolling and twisting the dough in a particular style, it is a crucial part to make soft gathiya. Since these are rolled they are called vanela.
I will share an authentic gathiya recipe with a perfect ingredient ratio and a few no-fail tips that helps you to make the perfect vanela gathiya on the first attempt.
Gujarati vanela gathiya recipe | how to make vanela gathiya | Gathiya recipe
For vanela gathiya
- 250 grms or 2.5 cup gram flour - besan
- ½ tsp gathiya soda
- ½ tsp salt
- 1 tsp ajwain
- 1 tbsp crushed black pepper
- ½ cup or 100ml water
- ½ cup or 100 ml oil
- 2-3 tbsp required Water to make soft dough
- 1 cup or 5-6 green chilli
- ½ inch ginger
- ¾ cup coriander leaves
- ¼ cup gathiya
- Salt to taste
- ½ tsp sugar
- ½ tsp coriander powder
- 1 tsp lemon juice
- In a mixing bowl, sieve gram flour, gathiya soda and salt. Add ajwain and mix well.
- Make a well in the center and add water and oil to it. Mix oil and water very well.
- Now start adding dry flour with the oil and water mixture. Combine everything to make dough.
- Take some water in a bowl and go on kneading adding water and oil till the dough is nice and soft.
- Then dough needs a good kneading, by the end it should not be sticky. It should be soft, and smooth and slightly changes its color.
- Take a lemon sized ball of dough and place it on a wooden board or rolling board.
- Now using your palm make a nice long rope twisting it every time you lift your palm. Follow the video to see the twisting method.
- Deep fry on low flame. They will puff up and remove as soon as they are cooked.
- Remove and sprinkle asafetida on hot gathiya.
- Now in a grinding jar, add green chilli, ginger, salt, sugar, coriander powder, lemon, coriander leaves and fried gathiya. Grind into a smooth paste. Chutney is ready.
- Serve with fried chillies, papaya sambharo, and green chutney.
- For even mixing, sieve soda and salt with besan flour.
- The ratio of water and oil should be equal.
- To make gathiya, roll the dough between your finger and palm.
- Fry gathiya on low flame.