Velaniya is a traditional Gujarati recipe also known as methi bajra muthiya. It is made with fresh methi leaves, bajra- wheat flour mixture, and regular spices. It is a healthy steamed snack that can be enjoyed with any type of traditional chutney as an accompaniment or simply with curd. This healthy dish is very easy to prepare and should be served hot for breakfast and dinner.
The softness of velaniya or muthiya is one of the most essential parts of this recipe, so I have shared the perfect ingredient ratio and a few no-fail tips to help you to make the perfect velaniya (muthiya) on the first attempt. Do try this!
- firstly, I made velaniya with fresh methi leaves, bajra flour and coarse wheat flour. The addition of slightly coarse flour to the dough makes it softer.
- Use buttermilk for kneading muthiya dough because it enhances its flavor. Also once all the ingredients are combined together, it has to be kneaded to a soft dough and should not be hard.
- Steam velaniya on medium to high flame. Do not boil it on low flame.
- lastly, velaniya (muthiya) tastes great when it is coated with tempering and served hot.
Please do visit my other related recipe collection like
Gujarati velaniya recipe | methi bajra muthiya recipe | bajra muthiya recipe | muthiya recipe
- 1 cup chopped methi leaves
- 4-5 spicy green chilli
- 1 inch ginger
- ¼ cup chopped green garlic white part
- 1.5 cup bajra flour
- ½ cup coarse wheat flour
- Salt to taste
- ¼ tsp turmeric powder
- ½ tsp ajwain
- Pinch of hing
- ¼ tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp lemon juice
- 1 tsp sugar
- 1 tbsp oil
- 1 cup buttermilk or ½ cup curd
- 4 tbsp oil
- ½ tsp mustard seeds
- ½ tsp cumin seeds
- 1 tbsp sesame seeds
- Some curry leaves
- 2 dry red chilli
- Pinch of hing
- 2 chopped green chilli
- ½ cup chopped green garlic optional
- Salt totaste
- Some coriander leaves
- Wash and cut fresh methi leaves. Keep it aside.
- Now in a mixture jar, add green chili, ginger, and green garlic. Grind it into a coarse paste. Keep it aside.
- Then, in a bowl add chopped methi leaves, bajra flour, coarse wheat flour, grinded green chili-garlic paste, salt, turmeric powder, ajwain, hing, baking soda, lemon juice, sugar, and oil. mix well.
- Now add buttermilk gradually and knead the soft dough for muthiya.
- Now take some amount of mixture in hand. Place on grease rolling board and give cylinder shape to velaniya. Make all into the same way.
- Then place all velaniya on a grease hole plate.
- Then in a pan, add 4-5 cup of water and bring it to a boil. Place a plate on it and steam it for 12 minutes on medium-high flame or till toothpick comes out clean.
- Cool down steam velaniya completely.
- Then cut it into medium-thick and round shapes.
- For tempering, in a pan, add oil, mustard seeds, cumin seeds, sesame seeds, curry leaves, dry red chili and hing. Saute it.
- Then add chopped green chilli, chopped green garlic, and salt. Saute it.
- Now add velaniya pieces and mix well with tempering.
- Garnish with coriander leaves and serve with chutney.
- Coarse wheat flour (bhakhri no lot) gives a soft texture to velaniya.
- You can use rava instead of coarse wheat flour.
- Knead the dough with buttermilk to enhance the taste of velaniya.
- You can use ½ cup curd instead of buttermilk.
- Grease the rolling pin board and give medium thick log shape to velaniya.
- High flame – 12 minutes
- Do not steam velaniya on low flame.
- Cut velaniya into medium-thick and round pieces.
- Velaniya or bajra methi muthiya tastes excellent when served hot with chutney.