khatta dhokla is all time favorite Gujarati snack. Typically dhokla recipe is prepared from fermented batter, but in this recipe, I share an instant dhokla recipe which is prepared from rice-dal powder and Rava (fine semolina), sour curd, and regular spices. I add some vegetables to make this dhokla healthier and also serve it with special dry garlic chutney and sev. So with the recipe, dhokla is prepared instantly and does not need fermentation like the regular dhokla. Do try this!
The key to making soft and perfect instant khatta dhokla at home are;
- Firstly, for dhokla flour use small grain rice varieties like khichdiya or jeerasar rice. Also, the quantity of dal should be half that rice.
- Use semolina or fine rava for instant dhokla batter and the proportion of rava should be equal to dal and rice powder.
- Dhokla batter should be medium thick and pouring consistency. Also, whisk the dhokla batter well so air particles incorporate into it and dhokla become soft and spongy dhokla.
- I have added Eno fruit salt which can be easily replaced with baking soda if you wish to. But I would heavily recommend skipping turmeric as it would react with baking soda to yield a pink color.
- I steamed the dhokla in Kadai and boiled water before placing the dhokla plate in it. pre-heating steamer and Kadai helps to make spongy dhokla.
- Steam dhokla 12-15 min on high-medium flame. Do not oversteam dhokla otherwise, it will become hard.
Please do visit my other related recipe collection like
Instant khatta dhokla recipe | instant live dhokla | Gujarati live dhokla
For vegetable khatta dhokla
- ½ cup small grain rice
- ¼ cup urad dal
- ¼ cup chana dal
- ¾ cup rava fine semolina
- Pinch of hing
- ½ tsp turmeric powder
- Salt to taste
- 1 tsp sugar
- 2 cup sour buttermilk or 1 cup yogurt
- 1 tbsp oil + 1 tbsp oil for sauté vegetables
- 1 tsp ginger paste
- 2 tbsp green chilli paste
- ¼ cup chopped cabbage
- ¼ cup grated carrot
- ¼ cup chopped capsicum
- ¼ cup boiled corn
- ¼ cup chopped bottle gourd lauki / dudhi
- ¼ cup coriander leaves
- ½ tsp eno into half of batter
For dry garlic chutney
- 9-10 roasted garlic cloves
- 3 tbsp roasted peanuts
- 3 tbsp roasted coconut
- 1.5 tbsp kashmiri red chilli powder
- Salt to taste
- Dry garlic chutney and nylone sev
Making vegetable khatta dhokla
- In a mixture jar, add rice, chana dal, and urad dal. Grind it into a coarse powder.
- Now, add grinded mixture, Rava, hing, turmeric powder, salt, and sugar to a mixing bowl. Mix well.
- Then add buttermilk gradually and make the medium thick and flowing batter.
- Add 1 tbsp oil and whisk batter with hand for 3-4 minutes and rest batter for 20-25 minutes.
- Meanwhile in a pan, add 1 tbsp oil, ginger paste, and green chili paste. Sauté it for a minute.
- Then add chopped cabbage, grated carrot, capsicum and boiled corn, chopped bottle gourd (lauki) pieces, and salt. Sauté till vegetables become slightly soft.
- Switch off the gas and add sauté vegetables and coriander leaves into dhokla batter. mix well.
- Now, Divide the batter into two parts.
- Meanwhile, add water to the pan—cover, and steam for 5 minutes.
- Add Eno fruit salt into the batter & mix in one direction.
- Grease the dhokla plate with oil & pour the mixture into the plate.
- Sprinkle red chili powder over the mixture and on one plate do not add red chili powder.
- Steam in idli-dhokla steamer or Kadai for 10 min on high-medium flame.
- Once done take out the plate from the steamer & allow it to cool for 5-10 min.
- Apply some oil to cooked dhokla.
- Cut into the desired shape.
- Serve khatta dhokla with oil or sprinkle some dry garlic chutney and sev on it.
Making dry garlic chutney
- In a mixture jar, add roasted garlic cloves, roasted peanuts, and roasted dry coconut.
- Then add red chili powder and salt.
- Without adding water, grind chutney into coarse damp powder.
- Store dry garlic chutney in an air-tight container.
- grind rice and dal mixture into a coarse powder.
- use sour buttermilk or curd while making dhokla batter.
- dhokla tastes good when it is served hot.