Handvo is a popular Gujarati snack. Traditionally handvo recipe is prepared from fermented batter by soaking dal and rice, but in this recipe, I prepared instant handvo with rava and regular spices. Also, I prepared handva into regular Kadai and lots of vegetables and special tadka to make it healthy and tasty. So without any planning, it can be made quickly and served with your favorite chutney for breakfast and dinner. Do try this!
- Firstly, use sour buttermilk or curd to prepare handva batter. also spreading a little amount of sour curd on the prepared batter helps to fasten the fermentation process.
- Consistency of handva batter should be thick and pouring, also whisk the batter well so air particles incorporate in it and hanvo become soft.
- I use different types of vegetables to make handvo healthy and nutritious. adding different types of vegetables is your choice and you can experiment as you wish. However, you may need to finely chop it so that it gets cooked easily.
- Cook handva for 12-15 min on low-medium flame or till it becomes crispy from both sides.
- Lastly, handva tastes great when prepared slightly spicy.
Instant rava handvo | vegetable rava handvo in kadai | instant sooji handvo
for handva batter
- 2 cup rava
- 2 cup sour buttermilk or 1 cup sour curd
- Salt to taste
- Special tadka
- 1 tbsp green chilli paste
- 1 tbsp ginger garlic paste
- ½ tsp turmeric powder
- 1 tsp red chilli powder
- Salt to taste
- ¼ tsp black pepper powder
- 1 tbsp sugar
- 2 tbsp crushed peanuts
- ½ cup grated lauki dudhi
- 3 tbsp grated carrot
- 2 tbsp chopped capsicum
- 2 tbsp boiled green peas
- 2 tbsp boiled sweet corn
- Some coriander leaves
- ¼ tsp baking soda for half batter
- 1 tsp lemon juice
Special tadka for handva batter
- 1 tbsp oil
- Pinch of hing
- 1 tsp mustard seeds
- 1 tbsp chana dal
- 5-6 methi dana
- 1 tbsp white sesame seeds
- Curry leaves
For handva tempering
- 3 tbsp oil
- ¼ tsp mustard seeds
- ¼ tsp cumin seeds
- 1 tsp sesame seeds
- 5-6 curry leaves
- Pinch of hing
- 1 dry red chilli
- In a mixing bowl, add rava and sour buttermilk gradually to make thick and pouring consistency of the batter.
- Then spread 1 tbsp curd on the batter and Cover and rest the batter for 30 minutes.
- Rava soaked properly and the batter becomes fluffy.
- Now in a tadka pan, add oil, hing, mustard seeds, chana dal, and methi leaves. sauté till dal is slightly golden brown.
- Then switch off the gas, and add white sesame seeds and curry leaves. sauté it.
- Now add hot tempering to the batter.
- Then add green chili paste, ginger-garlic paste, turmeric powder, red chili powder, salt, black pepper, sugar, crushed peanut, grated lauki, capsicum, grated carrot, boiled green peas, boiled corn, and coriander leaves. mix well.
- Handva batter is ready. divide it into two parts.
- In one part, Add baking soda and lemon juice on it. Mix well.
- In a kadai, add oil, mustard seeds, cumin seeds, sesame seeds, curry leaves, dry red chili and a pinch of hing. Sauté it.
- Pour handva batter in the centre of kadai. Cover and cook handvo for 12-15 minutes on low-medium flame.
- Flip another side and again cook handvo for 5-7 minutes till it becomes crispy from both sides.
- In the same way, you can make hadvo into the pan.
- Cut into the desired shape. Serve with crispy handvo with green chutney.
- You can use sour curd instead of buttermilk; also quantity of curd should be half than rava.
- The consistency of batter should be slightly thick and pouring.
- Spread 1 tbsp sour curd on the prepared batter helps to the instant fermentation process.
- Rest batter for 30 minutes, so rava soaked properly
- The tempering enhances the taste and gives softness to cooked handva
- The addition of baking soda helps to fluffy handvo.
- Cook handva for 12-15 min on low-medium flame.