Instant rava idli is a healthy south indian idli made with semolina or sooji batter. it is an ideal morning breakfast recipe and can be prepared without the hassle of grounding and fermenting the batter. I also share slightly spicy chana dal chutney, which is easy to make and tastes great with idli. so without any planning, it can be made quickly without idli steam or you can prepare crispy idli in a regular tadka pan. Do try this!
- Firstly, I would strongly recommend using coarse rava or sooji for this recipe. You can use idli rava instead of it, also add some poha powder which helps to make idli softer and fluffier.
- The batter plays a critical role in it. The batter has to be neither thick nor thin and has to be medium thick and pouring consistency. Also, whisk the dhokla batter well so air particles incorporate in it and idli become soft and spongy.
- Lastly, Steam idli on a high-medium flame. do not steam it on low flame. Also, I have cooked crispy idli in a tadka pan which is easily available in every kitchen. you can also make it in a small fry pan or appe pan.
instant rava idli | instant semolina idli | crispy rava idli | how to make instant idli
For idli batter
- 1 cup coarse rava semolina / sooji rava
- ½ cup poha
- 1 cup curd
- Salt to taste
- ¾ cup water or as required
- ½ tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp lemon juice to activate soda
- Some coriander leaves
For idli tadka
- 1 tbsp oil
- 1 tsp mustard seeds
- 1 tsp chana dal
- 1 tsp urad dal
- 2-3 chopped green chilli
- 6-7 curry leaves
- Pinch of asafetida
For spicy chana dal chutney
- 2 tbsp oil
- ¼ cup chana dal
- 3-4 curry leaves
- 4 garlic cloves
- 1 inch ginger
- 4 dry red chilli
- Salt to taste
- ¼ cup water or as required
For chutney tempering
- 1 tsp oil
- ¼ tsp mustard seeds
- 1 tsp urad dal
- Some curry leaves
- Pinch of hing
For Instant rava idli batter
- In a mixing bowl, add semolina. Now In a mixture jar, add poha and grind into a coarse powder.
- Then add poha powder into semolina. Also, add curd and salt.
- Now add water gradually and make it medium thick and pour the batter. Do not add more water to the idli batter.
- Then whisk it for 2 minutes so air particles incorporate in it and it becomes light and fluffy.
- cover and rest the batter for 20 minutes.
- Now in a tadka pan, add oil, mustard seeds, chana dal, urad dal, chopped curry leaves, and asafetida. Sauté till dal turns slightly golden brown.
- Switch off the gas and add tadka into the idli batter. also, add coriander leaves and mix well.
- Now add baking soda and lemon juice. mix well.
- Instant rava idli batter is ready.
For steaming idli
- Now in a deep bottom vessel (big patili) add 3 cups of water and bring to a boil.
- When water comes to a boil, place a greased plate on it and add batter with a ladle, and slightly spread it. (refer to video)
- Cover and steam idli on high flame.
- It should take 4 minutes to steam properly. Check with a knife, if it comes out clean then it is properly cooked.
- Make all idli into the same way. Allow it to cool for a while.
- Enjoy steam idli with spicy chana dal chutney.
Making crispy idli
- in a tadka pan, add 1 tbsp oil and 1ladle batter. Cover and cook on low flame till idli is properly cooked and crispy from one side.
- further, flip gently and cook and crisp from both sides.
- Enjoy, crispy rava idli with chutney.
Making spicy chana dal chutney
- In a pan, add oil and chana dal. Sauté till dal is slightly golden brown.
- Then add curry leaves, garlic cloves, ginger, and dry red chili. Sauté for a minute.
- Switch off the flame and cool down the mixture completely.
- Add chutney mixture into a grinder jar. Then add salt, and water and grind everything into a smooth paste.
- Take out the chutney mixture into a bowl.
- Heat oil in a pan, add oil, mustard seeds, urad dal, curry leaves, and a pinch of hing. Sauté for a minute and add in the chutney.
- Serve chutney with idli.
- addition of some poha into the batter gives a soft and spongy texture to idli.
- Grind poha into a coarse powder.
- The proportion of curd and rava should be equal.
- Do not add more water while making idli batter.
- Consistency of batter should be medium thick and pouring
- whisk batter for 2 minutes, so air particles incorporate in it and idli become light and fluffy.
- Rest batter for 20 minutes so rava absorbs water and puffs up.
- steam idli only for 4min on high flame.
- cook crispy idli on low flame; do not cook it on high flame otherwise, it becomes raw from the inside.
- idli tastes great when it is served hot with chutney.