Kacchi dhokliyu is a Gujarati farsan. It is soft gram flour small squares made with gram flour, yogurt, and regular spices. It is with flavor from green chilies, ginger with sesame tadka, and fresh coconut. In this recipe, I cook dhokliyu batter in a pressure cooker, which is a quick and easy method to prepare dhokliyu within 8-10 minutes. You can also prepare it in Kadai with this perfect ratio of gram flour batter. Do try this!
- Firstly, dhokliyu batter is an important part of this recipe. Gram flour (besan), curd and water ratio 1:1: 1.5. In my recipe I used 1 bowl of besan and 1 bowl of sour yogurt with 1.5 bowls of water.
- Secondly, In this recipe, I cook dhokliyu batter in a pressure cooker. This method is quick and easy to prepare dhokliyu within 8-10 minutes. You can also cook dhokliyu batter in Kadai same as we cooked Gujarati khandvi.
- Lastly, kacchi dhokliyu is incomplete without tempering. I also share spicy dry garlic chutney which makes it more flavorful. You can also sprinkle some red chili powder and chaat masala instead of it.
Kacchi dhokliyu recipe | surti patudi recipe | besan dhokliyu | how to make Gujarati dhokliyu
For kacchi dhokliyu batter
- 1 bowl Gram flour besan
- 1 bowl sour yogurt dahi
- 2 green chilli
- 1 inch ginger
- Salt to taste
- Pinch of hing
- ½ tsp turmeric powder
- 1.5 bowl water
- 2 tbsp oil
- 1 tsp mustard seeds rai
- 2 tbsp white sesame seeds til
- some curry leaves
- pinch of hing
- 2 chopped green chilli
- some coriander leaves
- ¼ cup grated coconut optional
For dry chutney
- 9-10 roasted garlic cloves
- 3 tbsp roasted peanuts
- 3 tbsp roasted coconut
- 1.5 tbsp kashmiri red chilli powder
- Salt to taste
Making kacchi dhokliyu
- In a mixture jar, add besan, green chilli, ginger, salt, turmeric powder, hing, curd, and water. Grind it into a smooth batter.
- Add grinded mixture into a bowl, and place a bowl into the pressure cooker. cover the bowl with a steel plate.
- Then cover the lid and pressure cook batter on high flame for 5 whistles.
- Switch off the gas and release the pressure cooker temperature naturally. Do not cool it for a longer time.
- Then open the lid and take out bowl from the cooker and whisk hot and cooked batter for 1-2 minutes in one direction.
- Batter becomes smooth and then spread little batter on a plate and roll it. If the batter is properly rolled then pour the hot batter into the grease plate.
- Cool down completely and cut into a small squares.
- To make tempering heat oil in a pan. Add mustard seeds, white sesame seeds, chopped green chili, curry leaves, and hing.
- Add dhokliyu pieces, some coriander leaves, and grated coconut. Mix well.
- Take out tempered dhokliyu on a serving plate and sprinkle some dry chutney on it. Serve it.
Making dry garlic chutney
- In a mixture jar, add roasted garlic cloves, roasted peanuts, and roasted dry coconut.
- Then add red chili powder and salt.
- Without adding water, grind chutney into coarse damp powder.
- Store dry garlic chutney in an air-tight container.
- Take an equal proportion of gram flour (besan) and curd. Also, you can add 2.5 cups of buttermilk with 1 cup of gram flour (besan), but curd gives a better result.
- Take 1.5 cup water with 1 cup besan for consistency of the batter.
- Pressure cook batter on high flame.
- Spread the cooked mixture on a plate, if it rolls properly then it is perfectly cooked.
- If the mixture is slightly liquid then cook again for 2-3 minutes in Kadai.
- Spread and cool down the cooked mixture completely then cut it into a small square.
- Kacchi dhokliyu tastes great when it is coated with tempering and served with spicy chutney.