Kathiyawadi style varadiya marcha is also called bharela marcha. Its combination of hot chilies and mild tangy stuffing makes it very flavourful. The stuffing is made from gram flour usually spiced with some Indian spices. Generally “bhavnagari green chili” was used to make this recipe, but if it is not available, I shared simple tips to decrease its spiciness. It is a really simple recipe and adds great taste to the meal. It is very popular in gujarati households and is usually served as a side dish with chapattis and dal.
Kathiyawadi style varadiya marcha | how to make bharwa mirch | besan stuffed bharwa mirch
- 8-10 green chilli
- Salted water
- 6 tbsp oil
- 1 cup gram flour - besan
- ½ tsp turmeric powder
- 3 tsp coriander powder
- ¼ tsp of hing
- 3 tsp sugar
- Salt to taste
- 4 tsp lemon juice
- 1 tsp mustard seeds
- 1 tsp cumin seeds
- Water to sprinkle
- Firstly, make a slit on 8-10 green chili and remove veins and seeds of chilies.
- Then in a bowl, take 2 cups hot water and add salt to it. Dip all chilies in it for 10-15 minutes.
- In a pan, add 2 tbsp oil and 1 cup of gram flour in it. Roast till gram flour changes its color and turns aromatic.
- Take roasted gram flour into a bowl and then add ¼ tsp turmeric powder, 3 tsp coriander powder, a pinch of asafetida, ½ tsp garam masala, 3 tsp sugar, 4 tsp lemon juice, salt to taste, and ½ tsp kashmiri red chili powder. Mix well. Then add oil and with your fingertip mix oil with gram flour.
- Take out green chili from hot water and dry it. Then stuff masala into slits of chilies.
- Heat 2 tbsp oil in a pan, add 1 tsp mustard seed, 1 tsp cumin seed, and a pinch of hing.
- Add stuffed chilies and sprinkle some water on them. Cover and cook for 1-2 minutes.
- When chilies are adequately cooked, then add ¼ cup gram flour masala and cook for another 1 minute.
- Serve tasty bharela marcha with roti or dal.
- Dip silted chili into hot salted water to decrease its spiciness.
- Roast gram flour till it changes color.
- The shelf life of masala is 8-10 days in the refrigerator.