Khaman dhokla is a popular snack from the Gujarati cuisine. Making it from scratch can be a time-consuming process, but in this recipe, I have used a khaman dhokla premix that makes the process easier and quicker. Simply add water to the premix and enjoy a delicious snack with your favorite chutney, without any planning. Do try this!
The key to making khaman dhokla with premix at home are:
- Use store-bought besan (or gram flour) in the khaman dhokla premix, and sieve it to incorporate air particles. I also add coarse urad dal flour and fine rava in the premix, which helps to make the dhokla fluffy and soft.
- The dhokla premix should have a shelf life of 2-3 months, but it’s recommended to prepare it in small batches and use it accordingly.
- In this mix, I have added Eno, which activates quickly. Therefore, preheat the steamer and immediately make the dhokla after adding water to the premix.
Please do visit my other related recipe collection like
Khaman dhokla | khaman dhokla with premix recipe | Gujarati khaman dhokla recipe
For khaman dhokla premix
- 500 grm besan - gram flour
- ½ cup or 80 grm coarse urad dal flour
- ½ cup or 80 grm fine rava
- 3 tsp limbu na phool - citric acid
- 6 tsp sugar
- 4 tsp salt
- 6 packet or 6 tsp Eno fruit salt
Making khaman dhokla from premix
- 1.5 cup dhokla premix
- 2 tsp oil
- Pinch of turmeric powder
- ¾ cup water
For dhokla tempering
- 2 tbsp oil
- 1 tsp mustard seeds
- 1 tsp sesame seeds
- 3-4 chopped green chilli
- 8-10 curry leaves
- ½ cup water
- 2 tbsp sugar
- Some coriander leaves
Making khaman dhokla premix
- Take 500 grams store bough besan and sieve it.
- Then add ½ cup coarse urad dal flour and ½ cup fine rava. mix well.
- Now take some flour into the mixture jar, add 3 tsp limbu na phool, 6 tsp sugar and 4 tsp salt. grind it and add into premix.
- Then add 6 packet eno fruit salt and mix well.
- Khaman dhokla premix is ready.
- Store it into air-tight container. It stay good for 2-3 months in room temperature.
Making khaman dhokla
- In a steamer, add water and pre-heat for 5 minutes.
- Now in a bowl, add 1.5 cup dhokla premix. Add 2 tsp oil and pinch of turmeric. Mix well.
- Add water gradually and make medium thick and ribbon-like pouring batter consistency.
- Add batter into grease plate and steam dhokla on high flame for 15 minutes.
- Dhokla is properly steam, cool down slightly.
- Cut dhokla into square pieces.
- Now in a tadka pan, add oil, mustard seeds, sesame seeds, green chilli slits and curry leaves. Saute it.
- Add ½ cup water and sugar. Stir continuously till sugar is completely dissolve.
- Now add tadka into dhokla pieces. Mix well.
- Garnish with coriander leaves and serve with chutney.
- Sieve besan flour so air particles incorporate in it and become slightly fluffy.
- Coarse urad flour gives fluffiness to dhokla.
- Rava gives a slightly coarse texture and holes into prepared dhokla.
- Limbu na phool gives a market-style taste to dhokla.
- Eno gives perfect results in each dhokla batch prepared from premix.
- Store dhokla premix in an air-tight container.
- Pre-heat steamer before making dhokla batter.
- The consistency of dhokla batter should be ribbon-like pouring and medium thick.
- Steam dhokla on high-medium flame.
- Addition of water and sugar in dhokla tempering, keep it soft and moist after its cools down.
- Khaman dhokla tastes great when it is coated with tempering and served with chutney.
Subscribe to our Youtube ChannelClick here to subscribe our Youtube Channel and stay updated with our latest video recipes