Lili tuvar na dhekra or green tuvar patties is a traditional Gujarati snack made from green pigeon pea (fresh tuvar dana), different types of flours, and a few spices. It is especially made in winter when you will get the best and good quality fresh pigeon peas in the market. The initial process of the recipe is very similar to Gujarati Khichu. Tuver Na Dhekra recipe comes from Gujarati Anavil Brahmin Community. Many people call it dhekhra or dhekra. Do try this Crispy dhekra (vada/patties) with spicy and sweet tomato garlic chutney and masala chai.
I have shared the perfect ingredient ratio and a few no-fail tips to help you to make perfect crispy lili tuvar dhekra on the first attempt.
Please do visit my other related recipe collection like
Lili tuvar na dhekra recipe | how to make green tuvar patties | tomato garlic chutney recipe | pigeon pea patties
For green tuvar dhekra
- 1 cup green tuvar - fresh pigeon pea
- ¾ water to boil tuvar dana
- Salt to taste
- 5 cup water for dough
- 1 tbsp oil
- ½ tsp ginger paste
- 2 tsp green chilli paste
- ½ tsp turmeric powder
- ¼ tsp hing - asafetida
- 2 tbsp white sesame seeds
- ¼ tsp black pepper powder
- 2 tbsp jaggery
- ¼ cup chopped fresh green garlic
- ¾ cup rice flour
- ¼ cup jowar - sorghum flour
- ¼ cup coarse wheat flour
- ¼ cup fresh coriander leaves
- Oil for frying
For tomato garlic chutney
- 3 fresh tomatoes
- 18-20 garlic cloves
- 2 green chilli
- 2 tbsp oil
- ½ tsp mustard seeds
- 1 tsp coriander powder
- 1 tsp black pepper powder
- Salt to taste
- 2 tsp sugar
- 1 tsp Kashmiri red chilli powder
- 1 tsp cumin seeds
Making lili tuvar dhekra
- In a pan, add water, salt, sugar and 1 cup fresh green tuvar. Cook tuvar dana till it becomes soft.
- Now in a pan, add water, oil, ginger paste, green chilli paste, turmeric powder, hing, salt, white sesame seeds, black pepper powder and jaggery. Allow water to boil.
- When water is boiling, add chopped green garlic and boiled tuvar dana in it. Mix well and boil the mixture for 1-2 minutes.
- Then add rice flour, jowar flour, and coarse wheat flour in it. Use a rolling pin and mix all flour into the water.
- Place pan on a tawa. Cover and cook dough for 10 minutes on low flame.
- Add hot flour into a mixing bowl and knead it for 2-3 minutes.
- Grease your hand with oil. Take a small portion of dough and flatten it out between your hands.
- Heat oil in a pan, add dhekra (vada) and fry them on medium flame. Flip it in between for even browning.
- When it is crispy and golden brown from both sides. Remove it to the paper towel-lined plate using a slotted spatula.
- Serve lili tuvar dhekra with tomato garlic chutney and masala tea.
Making tomato garlic chutney
- In a mixture jar, add chopped tomatoes, garlic and green chilli. Grind it into a smooth paste.
- Heat oil in pan, add mustard seeds and allow it to crackle.
- Add grinded paste and mix well.
- Now add coriander powder, black pepper powder, salt, sugar, red chilli powder, and cumin powder. mix well.
- Cover and cook chutney till oil separates from its sides.
- Cool down the chutney completely.
- Serve or store it in airtight container for 3-4 days in the refrigerator.
- Boil green tuvar dana on low-medium flame.
- Do not discard the water used to boil green tuvar dana.
- Add only 1 tbsp oil while making dekra dough, do not use more oil in the dough.
- Cover and cook flour on low-medium flame for 10 minutes.
- Fry dhekra on medium flame.