Masala dosa is popular south Indian food across India. It is a thin and crispy pancake prepared with fermented dosa batter which is stuffed with potatoes masala and served with chutney and sambar. In this recipe, I explained how to make a dosa batter with the accurate proportion of rice and dal, and potato masala and combine and cook them together into masala dosa. Additionally, in the video, I explained a few tips and tricks for perfect dosa batter.
Masala dosa recipe | How to make dosa batter | masala dosa with dosa batter recipe
For dosa batter
- 1 cup Small grain rice
- 1 cup idli rice/boiled rice
- ½ cup urad dal
- 2 tbsp toor dal
- 2 tbsp chana dal
- ¼ cup poha
- ¼ cup + 3 tbsp water to grind rice and dal
- Salt to taste
- ¼ tsp sugar
For potato masala
- 2 cup boiled potatoes
- 2 tsp oil
- ½ tsp mustard seeds
- ½ tsp cumin seeds
- 1 tbsp chana dal
- 1 tbsp urad dal
- Pinch of asafetida
- ½ tsp ginger paste
- 2 chopped green chillies
- 5-6 curry leaves
- 1 cup thinly sliced onion
- ½ tsp turmeric powder
- Salt to taste
- Some coriander leaves
- In a bowl, soak rice and dal for 4-5 hrs after washing it 3 times.
- Grind it rice with soaked poha and water. Grinded mixture should be coarse
- Grind dal with little water and make a smooth and fluffy batter.
- Mix both batters in a bowl with your hand. Keep the batter for 7-8 hrs or overnight for fermentation.
- When the batter is fermented will stir well and add salt, sugar and required water to adjust consistency.
- Heat oil in a pan, add mustard seeds, cumin seeds, soaked chana dal and soaked urad dal. Sauté till the dal is slightly golden brown.
- Then add asafetida, ginger paste, chopped green chilli, curry leaves and sliced onion. Add boiled potatoes, turmeric powder, salt and little water. Mix well. The potato masala is ready.
- Heat tawa, add 1 tsp oil and with decrease tawa temperature with a wet cloth. Now pour 2 ladles full of batter and spread evenly. Then apply batter and place potato masala in the centre. Cook until the dosa becomes golden brown. No need to flip.
- Serve masala dosa with chutney and sambhar.
- Use small grain rice for dosa batter
- Fenugreek seeds (methi dana) help to increase the speed of the fermentation process.
- Mix rice and dal batter into a large pot so the batter gets space to puff up.
- Mix rice and dal batter with your hands so air particles add to the batter.
- dosa batter should have free-flowing consistency so it can easily spread on tawa.
- lower the gas flame while spreading the dosa.
- cook dosa on medium flame.