Mawa malai kulfi is a traditional Indian style kulfi recipe prepared by evaporating thick sweetened milk and later mawa is added to attain a thick consistency. This evaporated milk is later chilled into kulfi matkas or kulfi molds to have the proper shape.
The key ingredient of kulfi is mawa or khoya. Mawa is easily available in all Indian grocery stores, but I prepared homemade mawa that tastes similar to store-bought one in this recipe. To make this kulfi quick and easier, I add cornstarch to milk to easily thicken and reduce milk evaporation.
The creamy malai kulfi is quick and easy to prepare and is liked by all age groups.
Similar recipe collection
Recipe card for mawa malai kulfi
- ½ cup sugar
- 1 litre milk
- 3 tbsp corn flour
- ¼ cup cold milk
- ¼ tsp cardamom powder
- For mawa
- 1 cup milk powder
- ½ cup milk
- 1 tbsp ghee
Garnish: Almond and pista slits
- In a heavy bottom pan, add ½ cup of sugar and caramelize it. When sugar is completely caramelized and turns into brown color then add milk in it.
- Stir continuously on medium flame till caramelize sugar dissolve completely and also milk thickens.
- Then, in a bowl add corn flour and cold milk. Mix well and make a lump-free batter.
- Add corn flour mixture into the milk and stir continuously.
- After 5 minutes milk gets thickens. Then switch off the gas and cool down mixture completely.
- Now in a bowl, mix milk powder with milk and make the lump-free batter.
- Then in a pan, add ghee and milk powder mixture. Stir till mixture comes together and leaves the sides of the pan. Instant mawa is ready.
- Add mawa into kulfi mixture and mix well. Mawa kulfi mixture is ready.
- The fill kulfi mixture into matka, any container, or kulfi molds.
- Cover the matka with cling wrap or aluminium foil and freeze for 8 hours.
- Finally, garnish matka mawa malai kulfi with chopped nuts and serve chilled.
- Boil the milk on medium flame else there are chances for milk to burn.
- You can use custard powder or arrowroot powder instead of cornflour.
- For mawa, milk powder and milk ratio should be 1:1/2
- Matka mawa malai kulfi recipe stays good for a month or more when frozen.