It is one of the easiest and crispy vada made with fresh methi leaves, Besan (Gram Flour), and regular Spices. They are slightly spicy, crispy, and mouth-melting when just taken out from hot oil. I also share a new style of dahi-coriander chutney which taste great with vada. It is an ideal evening snack and it goes great during the cold winter or rainy season with a cup of hot tea. Do try this!
The key to making crispy methi vada at home are
- Firstly, I made vada only with methi leaves and coriander leaves. but it can be easily extended by adding finely chopped palak leaves and also capsicum to make it crunchier.
- I add some soaked murmura to make vada fluffy and softer. You can add poha instead of it.
- vada batter should bind into a dough form. add water only if required to prepare the dough, as methi leaves will have moisture.
- Lastly, Fry the vada on medium flame till it becomes crispy and golden brown from the outside.
Please do visit my other related recipe collection like
Methi vada recipe | crispy methi vada | how to make methi vada | dahi chutney recipe
For methi vada
- 3 cups chopped methi leaves
- 1 cup chopped coriander leaves
- 2 cup murmura - puffed rice
- 3-4 spicy green chilli
- 1 inch ginger
- 6-7 garlic cloves
- 1 tsp cumin seeds
- 1 tbsp coriander seeds
- 1 cup or 2 medium size slices onion
- 3 tbsp white sesame seeds
- ½ tsp turmeric powder
- Salt to taste
- Pinch of hing
- 1 tsp red chilli powder
- 1 tsp dry mango powder
- 1 tsp sugar
- 1 tsp oil
- 1 cup gram flour - besan
- Oil for deep frying
For dahi-coriander chutney
- ½ cup coriander leaves
- 1 inch ginger
- 2 green chilli
- 1 tsp jeera
- ½ tsp black salt
- Pinch of salt
- ½ tsp chaat masala
- 1 cup fresh curd
Making methi vada
- In a mixture jar, add green chilli, ginger, garlic cloves, cumin seeds, and coriander seeds. Without adding water grind it into a coarse paste. Keep it aside.
- Now in a bowl, add murmura and soak it in water for 5 min. squeeze water from the murmura and take it out into a mixing bowl.
- Then mash soaked murmura with your hand so it will easily bind into the vada mixture.
- Add chopped methi leaves, coriander leaves, onion slices, grinded masala, white sesame seeds, turmeric powder, salt, hing, red chilli powder, dry mango powder, sugar, and sugar oil. mix well.
- Then add gram flour gradually and bind the vada mixture into a dough form.
- Now grease your hand slightly and make thin and flat vada. Make all vada into the same way.
- Heat oil in a pan, add vada into hot oil and fry it on medium flame till it becomes golden brown and crispy from both sides.
- Serve hot methi vada with dahi-coriander chutney.
Making dahi-coriander chutney
- Add coriander leaves, ginger, green chilli, jeera, black salt, salt, and chaat masala in a mixture jar. Without adding water grind it into a coarse paste.
- Now in a bowl, add curd and whisk it and make it smooth.
- Then add grinded paste and mix well.
- Dahi-coriander chutney is ready. Serve with vada.
- Murmura gives fluffiness and softness to vada
- Mash soaked murmura with your hand so it will easily bind into the vada mixture.
- Gram flour (besan) gives binding to the vada mixture. You can add some rice flour to it.
- Make thin and flat vada. Do not make thick vada otherwise, it will not be crispy.
- Fry the vada on medium flame. Do not fry it on high flame.
Subscribe to our Youtube ChannelClick here to subscribe our Youtube Channel and stay updated with our latest video recipes