Masala khichdi is simple and spicy healthy rice and a combination of 4 types of lentil-based dishes ideally served for lunch and dinner. Typical khichdi recipe is spice less, unseasoned, mild-tasting bland in taste but in this recipe, I made special masala which gives slightly spiciness and taste to regular khichdi. It is a healthy meal that is easy to digest and so good for the body. Do try this!
The key to making tasty masala khichdi at home are:
- Firstly, I used small grain rice and four types of lentils like green moong, tuvar dal, chana dal, and masoor dal. You can use any lentils but the proportion of rice and dal should be equal.
- You can use any combination of vegetables or add vegetables according to your taste and choice.
- The water ratio in this khichdi is 3 times the rice and lentils together which makes a soft, porridge-like consistency for the final dish. To make dry-ish khichdi reduce the water to 4 cups.
- lastly, if you are serving the khichdi once it is cooled, make sure to add water to have a watery consistency. basically, as time passes, khichdi attains a thick consistency due to the dals and the spice taste may get concentrated.
Please do visit my other related recipe collection like
Recipe card for mix dal & vegetable khichdi
To pressure cook khichdi
- 1 cup small grain rice
- ¼ cup green moong dal
- ¼ cup chana dal
- ¼ cup tuvar dal
- ¼ cup masoor dal
- ½ cup potatoes
- ½ cup chopped bottle gourd lauki
- ½ cup chopped carrot
- ¼ cup green peas
- ¼ cup green beans
- 3 tbsp peanuts
- 1 tsp turmeric powder
- Salt to taste
- 1 tbsp ghee
- 1 tbsp oil
- 5 cup water
- 4 tbsp ghee
- 1 tsp mustard seeds
- 1 tsp cumin seeds
- 3 cloves
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 inch cinnemon
- 2 dry red chilli
- 1 tsp ginger paste
- 2 green chilli slits
- 2 tbsp peanuts
- 1 tbsp coriander powder
- ¼ tsp turmeric powder
- 1 tbsp red chilli powder
- ½ tsp garam masala
- 1 cup water or as required
- Serve with ghee and coriander leaves
- Wash dal and rice under running cold water till water runs clear.
- Add slightly hot water and soak dal and rice for 20 minutes.
- Now in a pressure cooker add khichdi mixture, 5 cups water, turmeric powder, salt, and ghee. mix well.
- Also in a bowl, add chopped potatoes, lauki, carrot, green beans, and peanuts.
- Place the vegetable bowl into the pressure cooker and cover the pressure cooker lid, Cook for 3-4 whistles on medium-low heat.
- When the pressure cooker releases its pressure naturally, then open the lid and add boiled vegetables into khichdi. Mix well.
- For masala - heat ghee and oil in a pan, add mustard seeds, cumin seeds, cloves, bay leaf, cinnamon sticks, and dry red chili. Sauté for a minute.
- Then add ginger paste and chopped green chili. Sauté for a minute.
- Now add peanuts and Sauté till it's slightly golden brown in color.
- Then add coriander powder, turmeric powder, red chili powder, and garam masala. mix well.
- Add chopped tomatoes, green peas, and salt. cover and cook till become slightly soft.
- Now add khichdi into the masala and add 1 cup of water to it. mix well
- Cover and cook khichdi for 5 minutes so masala flavored add into khichdi.
- Switch off the flame and add melted ghee and coriander leaves. mix well.
- Serve masala khichdi with papad and dahi.
- The proportion of rice and dals should be equal.
- for soft and porridge-like khichdi proportion of water is 3 times more than rice-dal quantity.
- steam vegetable with khichdi gives a slightly crunch of it.
- pressure cook khichdi on a medium flame for 3-4 whistles.
- add required water to adjust the consistency of khichdi.