Mohanthal, a traditional Gujarati sweet, holds a special place in the hearts of those with a penchant for rich, flavorful desserts. Among its various regional variations, Jaggery Mohanthal stands out as a delightful specialty hailing from the western state of Gujarat, India.
To make Jaggery Mohanthal, the process begins with roasting chickpea flour, also known as “besan,” in ghee until it exudes a nutty aroma and turns a beautiful golden color. The roasted besan is then combined with jaggery and an assortment of aromatic spices, such as cardamom. This amalgamation of flavors creates a symphony of tastes that dance on the taste buds. The mixture is then carefully set in a greased tray and left to cool and solidify. Afterward, it is cut into diamond-shaped or square pieces, depending on personal preference.
I will share the perfect ingredient ratio and a few tips to make perfect Mohanthal with jaggery on your first attempt. Do try this!
Mohanthal recipe | mohanthal with jaggery | how to make mohanthal
- 1 cup melted ghee
- 2 cups fine besan - gram flour
- 1 cup malai
- 3 tbsp milk
- ¾ cup jaggery or as per your taste
- ½ tsp cardamom powder
- Garnish with almond and pistachio slits
- In a kadai, add 1 cup ghee and 2 cup besan. Mix well.
- Besan absorbs ghee and become slightly liquidy.
- Now add 1 cup malai and mix well.
- Mixture become slightly coarse and danedar. Stir consciously on low flame.
- Now add 3 tbsp milk gradually into hot mixture.
- Then mixture become slightly frothy.
- Stir consciously till besan changes its color and become aromatic.
- When besan changes its color, switch off gas. Stir for 1 minutes.
- Add jaggery and cardamom powder. Mix well.
- Then jaggery melts and mixture become thick.
- Spread mixture into grease plate and cool down for 2 hrs.
- Mohanthal is properly set, then cut it into square shape.
- Use fine besan for mohanthal.
- The proportion of melted ghee should be half of the besan.
- Malai gives a coarse and dhanedar texture to besan.
- Cook the mixture till the besan slightly changes its color.
- Cut jaggery into small pieces, so it will easily melt into the mixture.
- Switch off the gas and add jaggery to the mixture.