It is a crispy and deep-fried snack made with soaked moong dal lentils batter mixed with spices and herbs and wheat flour puri. these crispy puris are an ideal evening snack recipe that tastes great with sweet and sour tamarind chutney or can also be served as a side dish to lunch or dinner.
Sometimes you are tired of having the same dishes all the time. You need change. That time make this crispy moong dal snack. It is easy to make and loved by all kinds of age groups.
Moong dal nashta recipe | crispy moong dal puri recipe | moongdal puri with date-tamarind chutney
For puri dough
- ½ cup wheat flour
- ¼ cup coarse wheat flour or rava
- Salt to taste
- 1 tsp red chilli powder
- ½ tsp turmeric powder
- 2 tbsp oil
- ¼ cup water or as required
For moong dal batter
- 1 cup soaked green moong dal
- 1 tbsp crushed coriander seeds
- 1 tsp fennel seeds
- 1 tsp ajwain
- ½ tsp red chilli flakes
- 1 tsp garam masala
- Salt to taste
- ¾ cup chopped onion
- 2 chopped green chilli
- ½ tsp ginger paste
- ¼ cup coriander leaves
For date tamarind chutney
- ½ cup soaked dates
- ½ cup soaked tamarind
- Salt to taste
- 1 tbsp red chilli powder
- ½ tsp black salt
- 1 tbsp ginger powder
- 1 tbsp jeera powder
- 2 tbsp sugar or jaggery
- 2 tbsp chopped onion
- Some coriander leaves
- Water as required
Making moong dal puri
- In a mixing bowl, add wheat flour, coarse wheat flour, turmeric powder, red chilli powder, salt and oil. Mix well.
- Add water gradually and knead a tight and smooth dough.
- Cover and rest for 10 minutes.
- Then divide the dough into two equal parts and roll it into an oval shape sheet.
- Prick it with a fork and cut it into smaller size squares or circles.
- Make a square from all the dough. Cover and keep it aside.
- Now discard water from 1 cup soaked green moong dal.
- Grind dal into the coarse batter without adding water to it.
- Take out dal batter into mixing bowl, add crushed coriander seeds, fennel seeds, ajwain, red chilli flakes, garam masala, salt, chopped onion, chopped green chilli, ginger paste and coriander leaves. Mix well
- Then spread a teaspoon of batter on rolled square puri.
- Heat oil in a pan, add batter-coated puri and fry till it becomes crispy from both sides.
- Crispy moong dal puri is ready to serve with chutney.
- In another batter make a bhajiya from the batter and fry it on medium heat till it becomes crispy on both sides.
- Serve moong dal bhajiya with chutney.
Making date-tamarind chutney
- Soaked date and tamarind in hot water till they become soft.
- Then add soaked date-tamarind with water into the mixture jar.
- Now add salt, red chilli powder, black salt, ginger powder, jeera powder and sugar. grind it into a smooth paste.
- Then sieve date-tamarind chutney paste. Store chutney pastes in an airtight container.
- Take ¼ cup of chutney paste into a mixing bowl; add chopped onion and coriander leaves to it.
- Add the required water to the liquid consistency of the chutney.
- Serve chutney with moong dal puri and bhajiya.
- knead tight and smooth dough.
- do not add water while grinding dal.
- Grind dal into the thick and coarse batter.
- fry nashta on medium flame till it becomes crispy on both sides.