Handvo is one of the popular farsan (snacks) from Gujarati cuisine. Moong dal handvo is made with grinded and soaked green moong dal lentils mixed with vegetables and spices. It is protein-rich, healthy, and prepared instantly if you have soaked moong dal. In this recipe, I made handva in regular kadai, you can also make it in any non-stick pan. So with a little planning, breakfast or dinner can be made it quickly and serve with your favorite chutney. Do try this!
The key to making crispy moong dal handvo at home are:
- Firstly, I used green moong dal. You can use yellow moong dal or whole green moong instead.
- Grind soaked dal into a smooth and thick paste.
- Prepare thick handva batter as the batter turns watery when vegetables are added.
- I have used eno fruit salt for hastening the fermentation but as an alternative, you can use baking soda too.
- Cook handva for 12-15 min on low-medium flame or till it becomes crispy from both sides.
Please do visit my other related recipe collection like
Recipe card for moongdal handvo
- 1 cup green moong dal
- 1 inch ginger
- 5-6 garlic cloves
- 1 cup grated dudhi lauki
- ¼ cup grated carrot
- 3-4 chopped green chilli
- Some coriander leaves
- ¼ tsp turmeric powder
- Salt to taste
- ½ tsp garam masala
- 1 tsp chaat masala
- ½ tsp sugar optional
- 1 tbsp oil
- 2 tbsp fine rava semolina
- 1 tbsp besan
- 1 tsp eno fruit salt or ¼ tsp baking soda
For handva tempering
- 2 tbsp oil
- ½ tsp mustard seeds
- 1 tsp sesame seeds
- 5-6 curry leaves
- Pinch of hing
- 1-2 dry red chilli
- Wash and soak green moong dal for 3-4 hours in slightly hot water.
- Then remove soaked dal water and add dal into the mixer jar with ginger and garlic cloves. Without adding water grind it into a smooth and thick paste.
- Add grinded paste into mixing bowl, also add grated dudhi (lauki), grated carrot, chopped green chili, coriander leaves, turmeric powder, salt to taste, garam masala, chaat masala, sugar, and oil. Mix well.
- Now add rava and gram flour (besan) in it. mix well.
- Cover and rest batter for 15 minutes.
- Add eno fruit salt & mix in one direction.
- In a kadai, add oil, mustard seeds, sesame seeds, curry leaves, dry red chili, and a pinch of hing. Sauté it.
- Pour handva batter in the centre of kadai. Cover and cook handvo for 12-15 minutes on low-medium flame.
- Flip another side and again cook handvo for 5-7 minutes till it becomes crispy from both sides.
- Same way makes hadvo into the pan.
- Cut into the desired shape. Serve with crispy handvo with green chutney.
- add slightly hot water to decrease the soaking time of dal.
- Rava and gram flour (besan) give binding to handvo.
- il gives softness to handva.
- rest batter for 15 minutes, so flour soaked properly.
- cook handva for 12-15 min on low-medium flame.
- if the knife comes out clean then handva is properly cooked from both sides.