Murmura vada is a tasty deep-fried snack made with murmura, wheat flour, and regular spices. They are crispy from the outside while soft from the inside and made with all available ingredients in your kitchen. I also share a new style of coriander-coconut chutney recipe to serve with vada. It is an ideal evening snack and it goes great during the cold winter or rainy season with a cup of hot tea. Do try this!
The key to making crispy murmura vada at home are:
- Wash murmura with water and then soaked it into curd so it will become soft and easily bind into vada mixture.
- Coarse wheat flour gives binding and crispiness to vada, you can also use rava instead of it.
- Before frying vada, apply some water on vada surface helps to make fluffy vada
- Fry these vada on medium flame, so they will properly be cooked from inside with crispy coating on the outsides.
- Use ice cubes or chilled water to retain the green color of the chutney while grinding it.
Please do visit my other related recipe collection like
Recipe card for murmura vada
For murmura vada
- 3 cup murmura
- ¼ cup curd
- ¼ cup wheat flour
- ¼ cup coarse wheat flour
- 1 tsp ginger paste
- 2 green chilli paste
- 1 tsp fennel seeds
- 1 tbsp white sesame seeds
- Pinch of hing
- ½ tsp turmeric powder
- 1 tsp coriander powder
- 1.5 tsp red chilli powder
- Salt to taste
- ¼ tsp garam masala
- 2 tsp sugar
- 1 tsp lemon juice
- 3 tbsp oil
- Some coriander leaves
- 1 tbsp water or as required
- Oil for deep frying
For coriander-coconut chutney
- 1 cup fresh coriander leaves
- ¼ cup grated coconut
- 4-5 green chilli
- 4-5 garlic cloves
- 1 inch ginger
- 1 tbsp roasted cana dal
- Few curry leaves
- 1 tbsp sugar
- ½ tsp hing
- Salt to taste
- Half lemon juice
- Some ice cubes
- 2-3 tbsp water or as required
Making murmura vada
- Wash 3 cup murmura with some water.
- Take washed murmura into mixing bowl. Add curd into murmura and mix well.
- Cover and rest mixture for 5-7 minutes, so murmura absorbs curd easily.
- Then add ginger paste, green chili paste, fennel seeds, white sesame seeds, hing, turmeric powder, coriander powder, red chili powder, salt to taste, garam masala, sugar, lemon juice, oil, and some coriander leaves. Mix well.
- Sprinkle some water and knead the dough for vada.
- Now wet your hand and Take a small portion of dough, sprinkle some sesame seeds and flatten it out with your fingers. Apply some water on the vada upper surface.
- Heat oil in a pan, add vada, and fry them on medium flame. Flip it in between for even browning.
- When it is crispy and golden brown from both sides. Remove it to the wire rack.
- Serve murmura vada with coriander-coconut chutney and masala tea.
Making coriander coconut chutney
- In a mixture jar, add fresh coriander leaves, coconut, green chili, garlic, ginger, roasted chana dal, curry leaves, sugar, hing, salt, lemon juice, some ice cubes, and very less water. grind it into a smooth paste.
- Coriander-coconut chutney is ready.
- plain and coarse wheat flour helps to bind vada.
- apply some water to the vada surface helps to make it fluffy while frying it.
- fry vada on medium flame.