Palak paratha is flavorful and nutritious paratha recipe made with palak puree, wheat flour, and regular spices. I also share Gujarati-style instant Gajar marcha nu athanu (carrot chili pickle) which tastes great with paratha. It is usually made for breakfast and sometimes lunch and dinner also. This recipe is quick and easy to make, with all the basic ingredients from your kitchen. Do try this!
The key to making tasty palak paratha at home are
- firstly, in this recipe, I have added palak puree to the wheat dough, but it can also be made with other flours too. mainly it can be made with besan flour, plain flour and even with corn flour too. but it is tasty and healthier with just wheat flour.
- Also, paratha dough should be soft and smooth, do not knead tight dough because it is not easily stretched while rolling paratha.
- I use sesame seeds to give a nutty flavor to paratha, but you can add jeera or some regular spices to make it more flavorful.
- Lastly, you can apply either ghee or oil while roasting. Also roast paratha on a medium flame for the crispy outer layer.
Please do visit my other related recipe collection like
Palak paratha | palak ka paratha | instant Gajar marcha nu athanu | carrot chilli pickle
For Palak paratha
- 100 grm or 2 bunch palak leaves
- 1 inch ginger
- 4-5 green chilli
- 5-6 garlic cloves
- 2 tbsp coriander leaves
- 1 tsp cumin seeds
- 200 grm or 2 cup wheat flour
- 1 tsp ajwain
- 3 tbsp sesame seeds
- Salt to taste
- 1 tbsp curd
For instant Gajar marcha nu athanu
- 100 grm carrot slits
- 100 grm green chilli slits
- Salt to taste
- 1 tbsp + 1tsp lemon juice
- 2 tbsp slightly coarse mustard seeds - rai kuria
- 1 tbsp slightly coarse methi seeds - methi kuria
- ½ tsp asafetida - hing
- ½ tsp turmeric powder
- 2 tbsp hot oil
- ½ tsp fennel seeds
Making palak paratha
- in a large pan, add 2 cups of water to a rolling boil. add 2 bunch palak into boiling water.
- allow boiling for 30 seconds or until palak blanches well. drain off the palak and drop it into ice-cold water. this helps to retain the green color of palak.
- Remove water and transfer the blanched palak into the blender. Also add coriander leaves, ginger, garlic, green chili, and cumin seeds. Without adding any water grind it into a smooth paste. Keep aside.
- Now in a mixing bowl, add 2 cup wheat flour, ajwain, sesame seeds, and salt. Mix well.
- Add prepared palak puree and curd. Mix well and knead the soft dough for paratha. Use water if required to knead the dough.
- Cover and rest the dough for 10-15 minutes.
- Divide the dough into equal parts and give it to round shape.
- Take one dough ball, Coat the dough with dry flour and roll it out into a round shape of thick roti.
- Apply some ghee and sprinkle dry flour on its top surface and fold it into a half circle.
- Again spread ghee, coriander leaves, and dry flour on it, and again fold into a triangle-shaped layered pattie.
- Coat it with dry flour and roll it out triangle paratha.
- Place it on a hot tava and cook over medium flame.
- Spread ¼ tsp ghee evenly on the surface and flip it and cook until golden brown spots appear on both sides.
- Serve layered palak paratha with instant Gajar marcha nu athanu and curd.
Making Instant Gajar marcha nu athanu
- Wash the carrot and green chilies. discard the stems Slit from the center and make medium thick slices. Also, remove seeds from the chilies. (refer to video for cutting)
- Add ¾ tsp salt and 1tbsp lemon juice and mix well and then cover and keep aside for 10 minutes ( for 1 hrs for a big batch)
- Now transfer the carrot and chilies into a sieve to drain out the moisture released from it.
- Now in a mixing bowl, add slightly crushed Raina kuria, methi na kuria, hing, turmeric powder, and slightly hot cooking oil. Mix well.
- Add the carrot and chilies to a mixing bowl and add ¼ tsp salt, ½ tsp crushed fennel seeds, and 1 tsp lemon juice.
- Mix everything well and then fill the pickle in a glass jar.
- You can start using the pickle immediately but they taste best after 2 days.
- Enjoy with palak paratha and khichdi.
- when palak leaves get boiled, immediately transferred into ice cold water helps to stop its cooking process and helps to retain its green color.
- paratha dough should be semi-soft.
- ghee and dry flour help to separate the paratha layer.
- roast paratha on medium flame.
Subscribe to our Youtube ChannelClick here to subscribe our Youtube Channel and stay updated with our latest video recipes