Papad poha chivda is a popular Gujarati snack made with nylon poha or thin poha, papad, and regular spices. It tastes‘ chatpata’ with a balanced flavor of sweet and tangy. It is easy to prepare and lasts longs for one month. So, do try it at home and definitely, this homemade snack recipe will be loved by everyone.
The key to making tasty papad poha chivda at home are:
- Firstly, I Use thin or nylon poha for the chivda mixture. So before using poha for the recipe sundried or dry roast it for a crispier texture.
- I have used fried green chili for the spiciness, you can also add dry red chili to increase spice level.
- Mix turmeric powder into the hot oil so it will easily be coated with chivda and give its color.
- Lastly, store the chivda in an airtight container once cooled completely; else the moisture may turn the poha soggy.
Please do visit my other related recipe collection like
Recipe card for papad poha chivda
- 250 grm or 5 cup nylone or thin poha
- 4 medium size urad papad
- 8 tbsp oil
- ½ cup peanuts
- 3 chopped green chilli
- 15-20 curry leaves
- 1 tbsp white sesame seeds
- 8-10 cashews
- ½ cup roasted chana dal
- Pinch of hing
- 1 tsp turmeric powder
- 1 tsp salt or as per your taste
- 1 tsp black salt
- 3 tbsp sugar
- 1 tsp chaat masala or amchur powder or citric acid
- In a large pan, dry roast nylon poha on medium flame. alternatively, microwave for 1 minute or keep under a hot sun for 30 minutes.
- roast until poha turns crisp. Take out into a bowl.
- now in a bowl, add salt, black salt, sugar, and chaat masala. mix well and add it into roasted poha.
- Heat the oil in a pan on medium heat. Once hot, add papad and fry it.
- Take out all fried papad into the plate and make medium size pieces.
- Now in the same pan, add peanuts and roast till they become slightly golden brown.
- Then add green chilies and curry leaves. Saute until all the moisture from chilies and curry leaves are gone and they become crispy. If there is any moisture left, the whole chivda will not stay crispy and over time chivda will start to get soggy.
- Then add white sesame seeds and mix well.
- Then add cashews and daliya (roasted chana dal) Roast them with stirring constantly until they get light brown and become crispy.
- Then add hing and turmeric powder. Mix well.
- Now switch off the gas and add roasted poha. Mix well with the masala.
- Switch on the gas and mix chivda for 5 minutes on low flame.
- Lastly, add papad pieces and mix well.
- Papad poha chivda is ready. store in an air-tight container for a month.
- use thin and nylon poha for chevda
- dry roast poha on medium till it slightly shrinks and become crisp.
- cut papad pieces into medium size.
- fry chilies and curry leave till it becomes crisp and no moisture in it.
- adding turmeric powder into oil gives a nice color to poha.
- roast chevda on a medium flame for 5 minutes, so masala flavor is absorbed in it.