Gujarati puran poli is popular gujarati recipe made during festival time. It is whole wheat roti stuffed with sweet lentil filling. It has flavors from the dal along with cardamom and sugar/jaggery makes it delicious. It is sweet flat bread serve with Guajarati undhiyu. Here is an easy video for puran poli.
The method of puran poli is divided into 3 main steps, first is to make dough for roti, second is to make toordal sweet puran and finally assemble, roll, roast on hot tawa and drizzle with ghee at the time of serving. It is served as a dessert or part of meal during festival.
Puran poli recipe| How to makeGujarati style puran poli
Ingredients for the dough
- 2 cups Whole Wheat Flour
- 1 tablespoons cooking oil
- 3/4 cup water
- Ghee for serving
Ingredients for the filling
- 1 cup Arhar dal Split Toor Dal
- 1 cup jaggery
- 6-7 saffron strands soaked in water
- ¼ nutmeg powder jaiphal(optional)
- 1/4 teaspoon Cardamom Elaichi Powder
- 2 tablespoons Ghee
- First in a large bowl soaked 1 cup toor dal for 1 hrs. Cook the dal with 1-1/2 cups of water until soft and is well cooked. Mash dal with masher and make smooth paste and keep aside.
- Heat pan and add cooked dal and 1 cup jaggergy in it.
- Stir continuously till the water evaporates from the mixture.
- Then add cardamom powder until well combined to make the puran poli filling
- Then continue stirring the puran poli mixture until the dal mixture begins to thicken and leaves the sides of the pan. At this point turn off the heat and allow the puran poli mixture to cool completely.
- Now make the dough. Add 2 cup wheat flour and 2 tbsp oil into a large bowl; combine it with little water at a time and knead until the dough gathers together to form a firm dough mixture.
- Cover and let the dough sit in a cool place around 15 minutes.
- Take lemon size ball from the dough. Roll out the puran poli dough into 3 inch diameter circles.
- Place a portion of the puran poli mixture into the center of the circle.
- Bring edges of the circle towards the center and fold over to cover the entire filling; making sure the edges are all sealed well by pinching them together if there is any opening.
- Flatten the stuffed dough; dust over a little flour and roll gently into a 4 inch diameter circle taking care not to put too much pressure as the puran can come out of the dough.
- Place puran polio on tawa on medium flame, then rolled puran poli onto the tawa to cook until golden brown on both sides.
- Serve the Gujarati Puran Poli hot with ghee smeared on the top
- The roti dough should be soft so add oil while kneading dough gives softness to it.
- Mash boiled toordal properly for smooth and uniform puran.
- Stir continuously dal and sugar mixture on medium flame till mixture starts to leave the pan.
- Cardamom powder gives flavor to puran. You can also use nutmeg powder in puran.
- If the puran take shape of small ball then it is properly cooked and perfect.
- Fold the edges of dough properly on puran.
- Take some dry flour to roll the roti and roll into a left forward and right backward motion.
- Serve with generous amount of ghee makes it delicious.
- You can also use jaggery in place of sugar.
- You can also apply 1 tsp ghee while roasting puran poli for making it crispier.
- You can store puran poli in refrigerator for 2 days.