Rigan na palita or Brinjal fry is a popular dish of south Gujarat made with brinjals slices, besan and regular spices. To make this fry, brinjals are sliced and marinated with a mixture of besan and spices and then it’s either pan-fried or shallow-fried.
This rigan palita can be served as a side dish with any kind of rice variety, dal chawal, khichdi or plain khachdi.
Rigan na palita recipe | how to make tawa baigan fry | baigan katri recipe
- 300 gram or 1 medium size rigan - brinjals
- 2 tbsp besan - gram flour
- Pinch of hing
- ½ tsp turmeric powder
- 1 tbsp coriander powder
- ½ tsp cumin powder
- Salt to taste
- ¼ tsp garam masala
- 1 tbsp red chilli powder
- ¼ tsp dry mango powder
- 1 tbsp chopped coriander leaves
- 1 tbsp chopped green garlic
- 4 tbsp oil
- Garnish with chopped green garlic and coriander leaves.
- In a mixing bowl, add besan, hing, turmeric powder, coriander powder, cumin powder, salt, garam masala, red chilli powder, dry mango powder, chopped coriander leaves and chopped green garlic leaves. Mix well. The dry masala is ready.
- Wash and clean brinjal. Wipe it dry and cut it into medium-thickness slices of about 1 cm thickness.
- Take each slice of brinjal and place it over dry masala such that the brinjal slices are evenly coated.
- Cover and rest slices for only 10 minutes, so masala is easily absorbed in slices.
- Heat nonstick tawa put oil, and arrange masala-coated brinjal slices on the tawa.
- Fry on medium heat, once the base turns firm and golden in color, flip and cook on another side.
- Flip a couple of times and evenly cook on both sides till both sides are golden in color.
- Remove brinjal slices and place them on the dish
- Garnish with chopped coriander leaves and green garlic.
- Serve it hot with dal and rice.
- make a dry masala, so it will easily stick to rigan slices.
- cut rigan slices into 1 cm thickness.
- cover and rest rigan slices, so masala is absorbed into the slices.
- cook rigan slices on low flame.