Sev usal is the popular street food in vadodara in Gujarat. It is made with slightly thick gravy-based usal which is topped with spicy tari, sev, and chopped onion. It tastes chatpata, slightly spicy, and is loved by all kinds of age groups. In this recipe, I made sev usal green peas which are made quickly and taste great. I also share spicy tari and spiced sev recipes with taste great with sev usal. Do try this!
- firstly, I made sev usal with green peas for this recipe, but the same recipe can also be prepared from dry peas. you may have to soak it overnight before using it though. but personally, I feel green peas are much easier with less hassle.
- secondly, I personally like sev usal gravy medium thickness consistency, which is not too thick and not too thin. alternatively, you can control the consistency as per your preference. note that, the sev usal would attain thicker consistency once it cools down.
- lastly, the sev usal tastes great when it is served hot with spicy tari and masala sev.
Sev usal recipe | green peas sev usal recipe | sev usal with tari recipe | sev usal thali
For boiling green peas
- 2 cup green peas
- ¾ cup water
- Salt to taste
- ½ tsp sugar
- 6-7 tbsp oil
- 2- inch ginger pieces
- ½ cup green garlic
- 3 medium size onion pieces
- 3 medium size tomato pieces
- Salt to taste
- ½ tsp turmeric powder
- 1 tbsp red chilli powder
- 1 tbsp coriander powder
- ½ tsp garam masala
- 1 tsp sev usal masala
- 2 tbsp besan + ¼ cup water
- 3 cup water
- 1 tsp lemon juice
- Some coriander leaves
- 4 tbsp oil
- 4 tbsp onion-tomato gravy
- 1 tsp Kashmiri red chilli powder
- ½ tsp usal masala
For masala sev
- 1 cup sev
- ½ tsp sev usal
- ¼ cup onion green
- 1 tsp lemon juice
Assembling sev usal
- Thick sev
- Chopped onion
- Chopped green onion greens
- Coriander leaves
Sev usal thali
- Spicy tari
- Masala sev
- Onion salad
Pressure cook green peas
- In a pressure cooker, add green peas, salt, sugar, and water. mix well.
- Then pressure cook green peas on a medium flame for 2 whistles.
- In a mixture jar, add ginger pieces and green garlic. Add some water and grind it into a smooth paste. Keep it aside.
- Now in a mixture jar, add onion pieces and grind them into smooth paste. Keep it aside.
- Then add tomato pieces and grind them into puree. Keep it aside.
- Now in a pan, heat oil. add onion paste and saute it.
- Then add ginger-garlic paste and saute it.
- Now add tomato puree and salt. Cover and cook gravy till oil separates from its sides.
- Then add turmeric powder, red chilli powder, coriander powder, garam masala, and sev usal masala. Saute it.
- Now add 3 cup water, mix well and bring it to a boil.
- When the gravy starts boiling, add boiled green peas and mix well.
- Now in a bowl, add besan and some water. Mix well and add the mixture into gravy.
- Then lower the flame and boil usal on low flame for 7-10 minutes.
- Usal is properly cooked and the gravy become slightly thick.
- Switch off the gas and add lemon juice and coriander leaves. Mix well.
- Usal is ready to serve.
- In a pan, add oil, and onion-tomato gravy, and saute till the oil separates from its sides.
- Then add red chilli powder and usal masala. Mix well
- Tari is ready.
Making masala sev
- In a bowl, add sev, usal masala, green onion greens, and lemon juice. Mix well.
- Masala sev is ready.
Assembling sev usal thali
- In a bowl, add usal and top it with tari, sev and chopped onion, and coriander leaves.
- Serve usal with tari, masala sev, onion salad, and pav.
- add sugar while pressure cook green peas help to retain their green color.
- Instead of chopped onion, Onion paste gives a good flavor to usal gravy.
- The proportion of onion and tomatoes should be equal in usal gravy.
- The addition of slightly hot water helps to retain the masala flavor in gravy.
- Besan paste gives the thickness of usal gravy.
- Cook usal on low flame for 7-10 minutes.
- Sev usal tastes great when it is slightly spicy and chatpata.