Masala bafla bati is a delicious stuffed dumpling made using whole wheat flour (atta) and spicy potato filling (aloo ka masala). It is a popular dish in Rajasthan and Madhya Pradesh. bafla is traditionally made with a clay oven but in this recipe, it is made with a kadai or pan. It is easy to make and prepared with very basic ingredients and tastes delectable. Do try this!
Stuffed bafla bati recipe | masala bafla bati recipe | bharwa bafla bati | how to make bafla bati
For potato stuffing
- 1 cup boiled and mashed potatoes
- ¼ cup boiled green peas
- 2 tbsp oil
- 1 tsp cumin seeds
- ½ tsp fennel seeds
- 1 tsp crushed coriander seeds
- Pinch of hing
- 1 tsp green chilli paste
- 1 tsp ginger-garlic paste
- ½ tsp turmeric powder
- 1 tsp red chilli powder
- 1 tsp chaat masala
- 1 tsp garam masala
- 1 tsp amchur powder
- Salt to taste
- Some coriander leaves
For stuffed bafla bati
- 1.5 cup wheat flour
- ½ cup rava
- ¼ tsp turmeric powder
- Salt to taste
- ¼ tsp ajwain
- ½ tsp cumin seeds
- 3 tbsp melted ghee
- ¼ cup curd
- ½ tsp sugar
- ¼ tsp baking soda
- ¼ cup hot water or as required
- Potato masala
- Ghee for roasting
Making potato masala
- In a pan, add oil, cumin seeds, fennel seeds, coriander seeds, hing, green chilli paste, and ginger-garlic paste. Saute it.
- Now lower the flame, and add turmeric powder, red chilli powder, chaat masala, garam masala, and amchur powder. Mix well and saute it.
- Then add boiled and mashed potatoes, green peas, salt, and coriander leaves. Mix well.
- Masala is ready. Keep it aside.
Making stuffed bafla bati
- Add wheat flour, rava, turmeric powder, salt, ajwain, jeera, and melted ghee in a mixing bowl. Mix well.
- Now add in a center, add curd, sugar, and baking soda. Mix well.
- Then add hot water gradually and knead the tight and smooth dough for bafla bati.
- Cover and rest the dough for 20 minutes.
- Now add 1 tsp ghee to dough and knead for 1 minute.
- Then take medium size ball and make a round disc with your hand.
- Now add stuffing into center and seal the edges. (refer to video)
- Make all stuffed bafla bati in the same way.
- Now in a bowl, add 3 cup water into the deep vessel and bring it to a boil.
- Then place a plate above it and grease the plate with oil.
- Then place stuffed bati on a plate. Cover and steam bati on high flame for 15 minutes.
- Cool down the steam bati and press it slightly. (refer to video)
- Now in a kadai, add 3 tbsp ghee and roast stuffed bafla bati until it turns golden brown.
- Serve masala bafla bati with spicy garlic chutney and onion slices.
- The addition of rava into flour mixture gives the perfect texture to bati.
- Mix and rub ghee into the flour mixture, so the texture of flour is slightly crumbly and easily bind between hand.
- Curd enhances the taste of bati.
- Use slightly hot water for kneading bati dough.
- Knead the tight dough for bati, do not knead soft dough.
- Steam bati on high flame for 15 minutes or till tooth-pick comes out clean.
- Cool down bati and press it slightly.
- Roast bati on low-medium flame till it becomes crispy from both sides.