Paneer cheese ghotala is a very famous street food of city Surat, Gujarat. It is made with shredded paneer to thick red gravy made with tomatoes, onions, and masala. It is a vegetarian version of a unique paneer curry recipe inspired by its egg variant. It is served with masala-coated pav, but it can also taste great with dosa or kulcha. So, with a few basic ingredients try out quick and easy surti paneer ghotala.
- Firstly, make sure to grate the paneer with large holes, or else it turns mushy while cooking. Instead of a grater, you can crumble paneer with your hand.
- Secondly, I add pav bhaji masala for variation in flavor. You can add garam masala instead of it.
- Lastly, paneer cheese ghotala tastes great when prepared buttery and spicy. Also, if you are an egg eater, you may add a combination of egg or paneer to make it tastier.
Surti paneer ghotala recipe | paneer cheese ghotala | street style paneer ghotala
- 200 grm grated paneer
- 2 tbsp oil
- 2 tbsp butter
- 1 tsp jeera
- ½ cup finely chopped onion
- ¼ cup chopped green garlic
- 1 tsp green chilli paste
- ¼ cup finely chopped coriander leaves
- ½ tsp turmeric powder
- 1 tsp Kashmiri red chilli powder
- 1 tsp coriander powder
- 2 tsp pavbhaji masala
- 1 cup finely chopped tomatoes
- Salt to taste
- 1 tbsp tomato ketch up
- 1 tbsp kasuri methi
- ¾ cup hot water or as required
- 2 grated cheese cubes
- Some coriander leaves
- Serve with pav roasted in butter and masala.
- Grate paneer with a big hole grater. Keep it aside.
- Now in a pan, add oil, butter, jeera, chopped onion, green garlic, green chili pastes and chopped coriander leaves. Saute on high flame till onion is translucent.
- Then lower the flame, add turmeric powder, red chili powder, coriander powder, pav bhaji masala and 3-4 tbsp hot water. Saute masala till oil separates from its sides.
- Now add finely chopped tomatoes and salt. saute till tomatoes become soft and mashy.
- Then add tomato sauce and kasuri methi. Mix well and mash everything with a masher. (Refer to video)
- Now add the grated panner and mix well.
- Then for gravy consistency add hot water and mix well.
- Cook curry for 2 minutes so paneer absorbs all masala flavor.
- Now add grated cheese and some coriander leaves on prepared paneer ghotala.
- Serve hot with butter-roasted pav and salad.
- Grate paneer with a big hole grater.
- Saute masala in the oil gives street-style flavor and color to ghotala.
- Cut tomatoes finely into a chopper so they will easily combine into the gravy.
- Do not overcook ghotala after adding paneer to it.
- Grate cheese into ghotala at the time of serving.
- Paneer cheese ghotala tastes great when it is prepared slightly spicy and served hot.