Homemade Sweet Potato chips are crispy and crunchy and so easy to make. All you need is a good slicer to make thin slices of sweet potato. Unlike potato chips, sweet potato chips have a little sweetness along with the savory taste that makes these chips tasty. These chips are not only salty, sweet, crunchy, and spicy, but also very crisp and a great evening time snack along with hot tea/coffee. I share two types of sweet potato wafers. Do try this and enjoy it with your friends and family members.
Recipe card for sweet potato waffers & french fries
- 1 kg sweet potatoes
- Oil for deep frying
- Red chilli powder
- Wash and peel the sweet potatoes.
For sweet potato wafer
- Heat oil in pan, hold the wafer slicer above it, and make thinly slice chips into oil.
- In a bowl, add salt and water. mix well and add salted water into hot oil.
- Fry wafer on medium heat, till it slightly crispy.
- Remove fried chips on sieve.
- Serve or store sweet potato chips into an airtight container.
For sweet potato French fries
- Make a two-part of sweet potato. Now make 1 cm thick slices or to the size as required.
- Wash slices with cold water. this helps to get rid of excess starch from sweet potato and makes fries crispy.
- Dry fries with a kitchen towel.
- Deep fry directly in medium hot oil till it softens and cooks the sweet potatoes through.
- Cool the fried potatoes completely.
- In the second fry, fry on high flame till sweet potatoes turn brown and crispy.
- Drain the fries into wire racks once they are golden brown.
- Sprinkle salt, red chili powder, or spices of your choice on French fries.
- Serve hot with tomato ketchup.
- keep peeled sweet potatoes into water, so they will not turn black.
- salted water absorbs moisture from sweet potato wafers and make it crisp.
- fry wafers on medium flame.
- For French fries, wash fries with cold water to remove starch from them.