Tawa dhokla is a quick and less oil dhokla recipe that can be prepared within minutes on tawa without much hassle. It is prepared with instant dhokla mix and regular spices. Typically dhokla recipe is prepared from fermented batter, but in this recipe, I share an instant dhokla premix recipe which is prepared from rice-dal powder and rava (fine semolina). So with this premix dhokla prepared instantly does not need fermentation like the regular dhokla.
So with a little planning, breakfast or dinner can be made it quickly dhokla on regular tawa and served with your favorite chutney. Do try this!
- In dhokla premix, use small grain rice varieties like khichdiya or jeerasar rice. Also, the quantity of dal should be half that rice.
- Use semolina or fine rava for instant dhokla mix and the proportion of rava should be equal to dal and rice powder.
- Store dhokla premix or flour in an air-tight container for 6 months or more in the refrigerator.
- Dhokla batter should be slightly thick and pouring consistency.
- Cook dhokla on tawa for 12-15 min on low flame.
Tawa dhokla recipe | instant tawa dhokla | how to make dhokla premix
For dhokla premix
- ½ cup small grain rice
- ¼ cup urad dal
- ¼ cup chana dal
- ¾ cup rava - fine semolina
- ½ tsp turmeric powder
- Salt to taste
- 1 tsp sugar
For dhokla batter
- 2 cup dhokla mix
- 2 cup sour buttermilk or 1 cup yogurt
- 1 tsp ginger paste
- 3-4 chopped green chilli
- ¼ cup coriander leaves
- 2 tsp oil
- Water as required
- ½ tsp eno into half of batter.
For tawa dhokla
- 1 tsp oil
- ½ tsp mustard seeds
- 1 tsp sesame seeds
- Some curry leaves
- Dhokla batter
- Some red chilli powder
Making dhokla premix
- In a pan, add rice urad dal and chana dal. Roast for 2 minutes and cool down the mixture and add grind it into a coarse powder.
- Now add the mixture into a container, also add Rava, turmeric powder, salt, and sugar. Mix well.
- Dhokla premix is ready. Store it in an airtight container for upto 6 months or more in the refrigerator.
Making instant tawa dhokla
- In a mixing bowl, add dhokla flour and buttermilk. Mix well and make a smooth and flowing batter.
- Whisk batter with hand for 3-4 minutes and rest batter for 30-35 minutes.
- Then add chopped green chili, ginger paste, coriander leaves, and oil. Mix well.
- Divide batter into two parts.
- In one part, add Eno fruit salt & mix in one direction.
- Heat tawa on the pan, grease streel ring with oil and place it on tawa.
- Add oil to tawa and spread it.
- Then add mustard seeds, sesame seeds, and chopped curry leaves.
- Now add 2 to 2.5 ladle dhokla batter into the ring. Spread it and sprinkle some red chili powder on it.
- Cover and cook dhokla on the lowest flame for 12-15 minutes.
- Once done dhokla puff up and a knife comes out clean, then switch off the flame and take out a ring from dhokla.
- Make all dhokla in the same way and Serve with chutney.
- grind rice and dal mixture into a coarse powder.
- use sour buttermilk or curd while making dhokla batter.
- dhokla tastes great when it is served hot with chutney.