Tawa pulao is a very popular and spicy pulao recipe made from long grain rice and tossed in a pavbhaji masala and vegetables making it spicy and tasty. It is a quick pulao recipe and originated from local Mumbai Street. Serve this spicy pulao with yogurt raita for quick dinner.
Pulao with yogurt raita is a one-pot recipe for your mealtime. In India, pulao recipes vary from different cities. Tawa pulao is one of the most popular street food in Mumbai. Originally it is made with pavbhaji gravy mixed with rice and vegetables. Moreover, tawa pulao is prepared on big tawa. In this recipe, I cooked pulao on tawa but little variation to origin style, instead of using pavbhaji gravy I used pavbhaji masala.
Similar recipe collection
Tawa pulao recipe|mumbai style tawa pulao|quick pulao recipe
- 1 cup basmati rice
- water to soak and boil
- Salt as per taste
- 1 tsp oil
- 1/4 tsp turmeric powder
For boiling vegetables
- 1/2 cup carrot
- 1/4 cup green peas
- 1/4 cup green beans
- 1/2 cup potato
- salt to taste
- water for boiling
- 2 tsp oil
- 3 tbsp butter
- 1 tsp cumin seeds
- 1 nos medium size onion
- 1/2 tsp garlic paste
- 1/2 tsp ginger paste
- 1 nos medium size tomato puree
- 2 nos chopped tomatoes
- salt to taste
- 2 tbsp pavbhaji masala
- 1/2 tsp red chilli powder
- 1 tbsp garlic chutney
- 2 tbsp coriander leaves
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- Take 1 cup of rice in bowl and wash with water.
- Soak rice for 15-20 minutes by adding two cups of water.
- Now in a large vessel take 4 cups of water, salt as per taste, 1 tsp oil, 1/4 tsp turmeric powder, and get water to boil.
- Further, add in soaked rice, make sure to drain off the water and rinse the soaked rice well.
- Mix well and cook for 7-8 minutes, cook rice up to 80% only, do not overcook it.
- Drain off the rice and pour 1 cup of cold water to stop the cooking process, allow cooling completely.
- Boil water on medium flame.
- Then add 1 cup carrot, 1/4 cup green peas, 1/4 cup green beans,1/2 cup potato, 1/4 tsp salt, and boil vegetables for 5 minutes.
- Now drain off water from vegetables and pour 1 cup of cold water to stop the cooking process, allow cooling completely.
- Take a large tawa, and add 2 tsp oil, 2 tbsp butter, 1 tsp cumin seeds, 1 medium size sliced onion, and saute.
- Now add 1/2 tsp garlic paste, 1/2 tsp ginger paste and saute.
- Then add tomato puree, 2 nos chopped tomatoes, salt to taste and cook till tomato get mashy.
- Now add boiled vegetables, 1/4 cup chopped capsicum, stir fry for 3 minutes or vegetables cooked slightly.
- Further add 2 tbsp pavbhaji masala, 1/2 tsp red chili powder, 1 tbsp garlic chutney, and saute
- Sprinkle some water on vegetables and mashed with a masher partially.
- Now add 1/2 cooked rice and mix gently.
- Then add remaining cooked rice and mix gently.
- Now add 1 tbsp butter and mix.
- Finally, Switch off the flame and sprinkle coriander leaves and add 1 tbsp lemon juice and mix gently.
- Tawa pulao is ready to serve.
- Add salt and oil while cooking rice, so it helps to make rice grain separated.
- Turmeric powder helps to enhance the color of pulao.
- Add cold water to stop the cooking process of rice.
- Rice should be completely cool down before you making pulao.
- Do not add all rice together, add into batches.
- Mix rice grain gently so it will not breakdown.
- Lastly add butter to enhance the taste of tawa pulao.