tikha gathiya is a crunchy, spicy deep-fried popular Gujarati snacks made from gram flour(besan)and regular spices. The process of tikha gathiya same as plain sev recipe. Tikha gathiya is an extremely simple recipe. I share the perfect ingredient ratio and few no-fail tips help you to make perfect gathiya on the first attempt. It also has a very long shelf life and can store it in an airtight container for months.
Recipe card for tikha gathiya
- 2 cup gram flour besan
- 1 tsp carom seeds
- 1 tsp kashmiri red chilli powder
- Salt to taste
- ¾ cup + ¼ cup water for dough
- 1 tbsp oil + for greasing + oil for deep frying
- ½ tsp baking soda
- Sprinkle black salt
- Sieve the gram flour in a large bowl. Add gram flour, carom seeds, kashmiri red chilli powder, and salt in it. Mix well
- Then in a small pan, add water, oil and bring it to boil. Switch off the gas and add baking soda in it. Water and oil mixture is ready.
- Add water and oil mixture into flour and combine to make dough.
- Then knead smooth dough by adding ¼ cup water. Dough should be soft. Grease the dough using little oil in a hand.
- Use gathiya zara, sev machine or slicer machine to make gathiya.
- With gathiya zara – grease zara with oil and rub gathiya dough with your hand.
- With sev machine – use a mold (with big holes) to make gathiya. Place mold at bottom in the machine and place dough in it. Close the machine tightly.
- With slicer – grese back side of slicer with oil and rub gathiya dough with your hand.
- Heat oil in a frying kadai over medium flame. When oil turns hot, holding the machine, zara or slicer over oil and force the dough through the mold.
- Fry gathiya until they become light brown for around 3-4 minutes. Remove gathiya from oil and drain on kitchen paper. Sprinkle some black salt on fried gathiya. Do the same process for remaining dough.
- Crispy tikha gathiya is ready. Keep it in air tight container and store in a cool and dry place for 15-20 days.
- Recipe notes:
- Do not use baking soda more than ½ tsp.
- Knead gathiya dough with hot water-oil mixture.
- fry gathiya on medium-low flame.