Tikha gathiya is a crunchy, spicy deep-fried popular Gujarati snack made from gram flour(besan)and regular spices. The process of tikha gathiya same as the plain sev recipe. Tikha gathiya is an extremely simple recipe. I share the perfect ingredient ratio and a few no-fail tips to help you to make the perfect gathiya on the first attempt. It also has a very long shelf life and can be stored in an airtight container for months.
Tikha gathiya recipe | teekha gathiya recipe | how to make gathiya
- 2 cup gram flour besan
- 1 tsp carom seeds
- 1 tsp kashmiri red chilli powder
- Salt to taste
- ¾ cup + ¼ cup water for dough
- 1 tbsp oil + for greasing + oil for deep frying
- ½ tsp baking soda
- Sprinkle black salt
- Sieve the gram flour in a large bowl. Add gram flour, carom seeds, kashmiri red chilli powder, and salt to it. Mix well
- Then in a small pan, add water, oil and bring it to a boil. Switch off the gas and add baking soda to it. The water and oil mixture is ready.
- Add water and oil mixture into the flour and combine to make dough.
- Then knead the smooth dough by adding ¼ cup water. The dough should be soft. Grease the dough using little oil in a hand.
- Use gathiya zara, sev machine or slicer machine to make gathiya.
With gathiya zara – grease zara with oil and rub gathiya dough with your hand.
With sev machine – use a mold (with big holes) to make gathiya. Place mold at the bottom of the machine and place dough in it. Close the machine tightly.
With the slicer – grease the back side of the slicer with oil and rub gathiya dough with your hand.
- Heat oil in a frying kadai over medium flame. When oil turns hot, hold the machine, zara, or slicer over the oil and force the dough through the mold.
- Fry gathiya until they become light brown for around 3-4 minutes. Remove gathiya from the oil and drain on kitchen paper. Sprinkle some black salt on the fried gathiya. Do the same process for the remaining dough.
- Crispy tikha gathiya is ready. Keep it in an airtight container and store it in a cool and dry place for 15-20 days.
- Do not use baking soda of more than ½ tsp.
- Knead gathiya dough with the hot water-oil mixture.
- fry gathiya on medium-low flame.