Tomato Upma is a healthy breakfast variety prepared with sooji (semolina) and tomato as the main ingredients. It is another variety of rava upma which is made from semolina flavored with tomato and south Indian tempering. It is a quick and simple breakfast dish that you can make without any preparations. You can add a variety of vegetables as per your choice to make it more nutritious for your breakfast time. It is served with coconut chutney
Tomato upma recipe | how to make tomato upma | upma recipe
- 1 cup sooji rava semolina
- 2 tbsp + 2 tsp ghee
- 1 tbsp peanuts
- 5-6 cashews
- 1 tsp mustard seeds
- 1 tsp cumin seeds
- 1 tsp urad dal
- 1 tsp chana dal
- 1 tsp ginger paste
- 2 chopped green chilli
- 10-12 curry leaves
- 1 medium size chopped onion
- ¼ tsp turmeric powder
- ½ tsp red chilli powder
- ¾ cup chopped tomatoes
- 3 cup water
- Salt to taste
- 1 tsp ghee
- Some coriander leaves
- Add 1 tsp ghee to a pan, and roast sooji on medium heat until fragrant, around 10 minutes, stirring continuously.
- Remove sooji from the pan and transfer it to the plate.
- In the same pan, add 2 tbsp ghee, add mustard seeds, cumin seeds, chana dal, urad dal and peanuts. Roast dal till it's slightly golden brown.
- Add chopped onion and cook till onion become transparent Then add chopped ginger, chopped green chili and curry leaves. sauté for a minute.
- Then add turmeric powder and red chilli powder. Mix well.
- Add chopped tomatoes and salt. Mix well and cook till tomato become soft and mashy.
- Now add 3 cup water. Mix well and let the water come to a boil. Once the water comes to a boil, start adding the roasted sooji a little at a time. Add all the sooji in a similar way.
- Then cover the pan with a lid and set the heat to low. Let it remain like that for 5 minutes.
- Remove the lid and add 1 tsp ghee and some coriander leaves. mix well.
- Serve tomato upma with coconut chutney.
- Use coarse rava(sooji) for upma.
- Roasting rava with ghee gives a nice flavor to upma.
- roast rava/suji properly till it is fragrant, sooji shouldn’t turn brown.
- Cook tomatoes till they become soft and mushy.
- The water and rava ratio should be 3:1.
- Cover and cook upma for 5 minutes helps to absorb all water from it.