Urad dal Vada or dhebra also known as adivasi vada. It is a popular vada recipe from village chota udepur, in Gujarat. It is made from urad dal and regular spices. they are slightly spicy, crispy from the outside, and soft from the inside I also share a village-style coriander-chili chutney recipe which goes great with vada. This vada can be served as an evening snack with masala chai. do try this!
The key to making tasty urad dal vada at home are
- Firstly, The udal dal batter is key for this recipe and it has to be thick and coarse batter. so add very little water while grinding dal.
- Beat the batter in a circular motion to incorporate air into the batter. This makes vada soft and crispy.
- Shape vada with a slightly wet hand. If you cannot shape vada with your hand, then use a tea sieve or round bowl to shape vada.
- Lastly, Fry vada on medium flame till it becomes crispy from the outside and adequately cooked from the inside.
Please do visit my other related recipe collection like
Urad dal vada | urad dal dhebra | How to make urad dal vada | Gujarati dhebra
For urad dal vada
- 1 cup black urad dal
- 4-5 spicy green chilli
- 1 inch ginger
- 7-8 green garlic cloves
- ½ cup chopped onion
- ¼ cup methi leaves
- ¼ cup coriander leaves
- Pinch of hing
- 1 tsp ajwain
- ½ tsp turmeric powder
- 1 tsp red chilli powder
- 1 tsp coriander powder
- Salt to taste
- Oil for frying
For coriander-green chilli chutney
- ½ cup chopped coriander leaves
- 3 green chilli
- 1 inch ginger
- 4 garlic cloves
- 1 medium size tomato
- Salt to taste
- ¼ tsp black salt
- ½ tsp cumin powder
Making urad dal vada
- soak 1 cup of black urad dal in enough water for 5-6 hours.
- Then remove soaked dal water with a strainer.
- Now add dal into a mixer jar and grind into a coarse paste without adding water into the batter. keep it aside.
- Also in a mixture jar, add green chilli, ginger, and green garlic. Grind it into a paste. Keep it aside.
- Take out grinded mixer into a bowl and stir continuously in one direction after a few minutes mixer is light and fluffy.
- Then add chili-garlic-ginger paste, chopped methi leaves, coriander leaves, hing, ajwain, turmeric powder, red chili powder, coriander powder, and salt. mix well.
- Now, grease your palm with oil and make round disc shape vada. You can also make vada on wet cotton cloth.
- Heat oil in a pan, add vada and deep-fried on medium flame.
- Take out fried vada on a wire rack or tissue paper and serve with green chutney.
Making Coriander-green chili chutney
- In the mixture jar, add coriander leaves, green chilli, garlic, and tomatoes.
- Grind it into a coarse paste.
- Take out into a bowl, add salt, black salt, and cumin powder in it. mix well.
- Serve chutney with urad dal vada.
- do not add water while grinding dal.
- grind dal into a coarse mixture; do not grind into a smooth paste.
- stir dal batter in one direction so air particles incorporate into the batter.
- use a wet hand while making vada, so the batter quickly drops into the hot oil.
- fry vada on medium flame.
Subscribe to our Youtube ChannelClick here to subscribe our Youtube Channel and stay updated with our latest video recipes