Veg hakka noodles are a popular Chinese recipe prepared with a combination of noodles with vegetables and sauces. To cook these noodles, you have to simply boil them in boiling water, drain out the water and then toss them with your favorite veggies and sauces. In this recipe, I share a few tips to make perfect restaurant-style noodles at home.
Veg hakka noodles recipe | street style veg hakka noodles | how to make veg hakka noodles
To boil noodles
- 2 packet or 300 g noodles
- 1 tbsp salt
- 2 tbsp oil
- Cold water
For veg hakka noodles
- 2 tbsp oil
- 1 inch chopped ginger
- 1 tbsp chopped garlic
- 2 green chilli slits
- 2 medium sizes or 100 g sliced onion
- 1 cup or 100 g sliced carrot
- ½ cup or 50 g thinly chopped cabbage
- 1 cup or 100 g sliced capsicum
- 3 chopped green onion stalks
- ½ tsp sugar
- 2 tbsp soya sauce
- 1 tbsp vinegar
- 2 tbsp red chilli sauce
- Salt to taste
- ¼ tsp black pepper powder
- Boiled noodles
- Garnish: spring onion greens
- In a pan boil the 1 cup noodles as per package instructions.
- Add salt and oil to the water while boiling the noodles which prevents the noodles from sticking to each other.
- Drain water from noodles and keep aside. Do remember to wash the noodles with cold water after boiling them to stop the cooking process.
- In a wok, add oil, chopped ginger, garlic and green chilli. Sauté for a minute.
- Then add sliced onion and cook it for a minute.
- Now add sliced carrot, thinly sliced cabbage, sliced capsicum, green onion stalks and some sugar.
- Mix well and sauté the vegetable on high flame till it slightly shrinks.
- Now in a bowl, add soya sauce, vinegar and red chilli sauce. Mix well,
- Then add salt and pepper. Mix well.
- Add boiled noodles and mix well.
- Garnish veg hakka noodles with spring onion greens and serve.
- oil helps to avoid the stickiness of noodles.
- when the water starts to boil, then add noodles to it.
- do not overcook noodles.
- rinse cooked noodles with cold water helps to stop their cooking process.
- sugar helps to retain the green color of vegetables.
- cook vegetables on high flame, do not overcook them.