Vegetable poha is an all-time favorite breakfast recipe made of flat beaten rice, vegetable, and regular spices. It is a perfect balance of taste and nutrition. I add different vegetables and masala to make poha healthier and tasty. It is also an excellent light yet stomach filling food item to pack in the lunch box. Poha tastes best when served with tea in the breakfast. Do try this!
The key to making tasty vegetable poha at home are:
- Firstly, use thick or medium-sized poha. Do not use thin poha for the recipe.
- I soak poha only for 2 minutes into hot water, which gives them a perfect yellow color. But you can just rinse the poha in water to remove the dust.
- I used different types of vegetables and masala to make poha healthier and tasty. You can use vegetables of your choice.
- Fried peanuts and ratlami sev give a nice crunch and taste to poha. You can also use chivda or aloo sev instead of it.
- Poha has a slightly longer shelf life and can be used the next day. if you want to reheat the poha then steam it for 3 minutes or microwave.
- Finally, vegetable poha tastes great when poha is soft and fluffy yet non-sticky.
Please do visit my other related recipe collection like
Recipe card for vegetable poha
For Vegetable Poha
- 2 cup poha
- ½ tsp turmeric powder
- 3 cup hot water
- Salt to taste
- 1 tbsp sugar
- 3 tbsp peanuts
- 1 tsp mustard seeds
- 1 tsp cumin seeds
- 6-7 curry leaves
- 2-3 chopped green chilli
- 1 tsp ginger
- 3 tbsp chopped carrot
- 3 tbsp chopped capsicum
- 3 tbsp green peas
- 1 medium size or 3/4 cup chopped potatoes
- ½ cup chopped onion
- ½ cup chopped tomatoes
- 1 tsp red chilli powder
- ½ tsp garam masala
- ½ cup chopped coriander leaves
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- Ratlami sev
- Pomegranate seeds
- Sieve poha and soak it only for 2 minutes in hot water with turmeric powder.
- Sieve water from poha and dry them completely.
- Then add salt and sugar into soaked poha and mix well.
- Now in a pan, add oil and peanuts. Fry peanuts till it is slightly brown. Keep it aside.
- In the same pan, add mustard seeds, cumin seeds, curry leaves, chopped green chili, and ginger paste. Sauté for a minute.
- Then add chopped carrot, capsicum, green peas, and chopped potatoes. add salt and mix vegetables into the oil.
- Now sprinkle some water on vegetables. Cover and cook vegetables on low flame till they become slightly soft.
- Then add chopped onion and chopped tomatoes. Mix well and cook them on high flame till they become slightly soft.
- Now add red chili powder garam masala. mix well.
- Add soaked poha, some coriander leaves, lemon juice, and roasted peanuts. mix well. Poha is ready
- To serve vegetable poha and top it with ratlami sev and pomegranate seeds.
- addition of turmeric powder while soaking poha gives a nice flavor and color to poha.
- do not soak poha for more than 2 minutes.
- dry poha minimum 15 minutes, so each granulates of poha is separate.
- sugar gives a nice flavor to poha.
- mix poha gently with masala and vegetables.