Bharela karela is a simple and interesting side dish or sabji made with bitter gourd. The spiced masala with besan, peanut, and spices is stuffed inside the bitter gourd cavity and then cook till it is crisp. I share some tips to decrease the bitterness of karela and make spicy stuffing to balance the remaining bitterness of karela. It is such a simple, healthy and also tasty side dish recipe generally served with roti or dal rice.
Bharela karela recipe | stuffed karela with besan | bharwa karela recipe
- 8 small sized karela
- 3 tbsp oil
- For stuffing
- ¼ cup besan gram flour
- ¼ cup coarsely crushed peanuts
- ½ tsp ginger paste
- ½ tsp garlic paste
- 2 tsp white sesame seeds
- 2 tsp fennel seeds saunf
- ½ tsp turmeric powder
- 2 tsp red chilli powder
- 2 tsp coriander powder
- ½ tsp cumin powder
- 1 tsp garam masal
- Salt to taste
- 2 tsp jaggery
- 1 tsp lemon juice
- 2 tsp oil
- ¼ cup chopped coriander leaves
- Wash and peel the skin of karela. Make a slit in the center and remove the seeds of karela.
- Now apply ½ tsp salt on the surface as well as inside thoroughly. Keep the karela aside to rest for 15-20 minutes. Karela should start leaving all the bitter juice out.
- Add water and squeeze extra water from karela by pressing them in the palm. This way all the bitterness should go away.
- In a pan, add besan and crushed peanuts. Roast mixture till its is slightly golden brown.
- Switch off the flame and cool down the roasted mixture.
- Then add ginger-garlic paste, sesame seeds, fennel seeds, turmeric powder, red chilli powder, coriander powder, cumin powder, garam masala, salt, jaggery, lemon juice, oil and chopped coriander leaves. Mix well.
- Now stuffed masala mixture in the karela.
- Heat oil in a pan, and add stuffed karela to it. Cover and cook karela on medium-low flame.
- When karela is half cooked, then sprinkle water and again cook it for 2-3 minutes.
- Bharela karela is ready. Serve hot with roti or dal-rice.
- Use a tender and small-sized karela which is perfect for stuffing with serving size.
- Marinate the karela with salt to reduce its bitterness.
- You can use gathiya or sev instead of roasted besan.
- Do not add lemon juice and coriander leaves when you store stuffing refrigerator.