Dudhi chana dal nu shak is a tasty Gujarati curry prepared with bottle gourd and Bengal gram. It is a delicious, homely, and perfect recipe for your everyday meals. This sabzi recipe is very quick and requires basic spices which we use in our everyday cooking. Serve it with plain rice or roti for a wholesome lunch or dinner. Do try this!
The key to making tasty dudhi chana dal nu shak at home are:
- Firstly, soak chana dal into slightly hot water helps to reduce its cooking time.
- Lauki (dudhi/bottle gourd) has to be diced in a medium-sized cube. Do not attempt to lower the size as it may get dissolved with the sauce while cooking the curry. Also, the cubes should not be huge in size as they may not get cooked properly.
- I personally like this sabzi without onion and garlic, but you can make it with onion and garlic.
- Finally, lauki chana dal sabzi tastes great when prepared spicy.
Please do visit my other related recipe collection like
Recipe card for dudhi chana dal sabzi
For pressure cooker
- ½ cup soaked chana dal
- 500 grm or 3 cup bottle gourd lauki / dudhi
- ¼ tsp turmeric powder
- ¼ tsp kashmiri red chilli powder
- 1 tbsp ghee
- 1 cup water
For masala paste
- ½ tsp turmeric powder
- 1 tsp kashmiri red chilli powder
- 1 tsp coriander powder
- ½ tsp cumin powder
- ¼ tsp kasuri methi
- ½ cup water
- 4 tbsp oil
- 1 tsp cumin seeds
- Pinch of hing
- 2 dry red chilli
- 1 bay leaf
- ½ tsp fennel seeds
- ½ tsp ginger paste
- 2 green chilli slits
- 1 cup tomato puree
- 1 small size chopped tomatoes
- Salt to taste
- Boiled lauki chana dal mixture
- ½ cup water
- ½ tsp garam masala
- 1 tbsp jaggery optional
- Some coriander leaves
- Wash and soak chana dal into slightly hot water for 30 minutes.
- Peel and cut dudhi pieces into medium size and keep it in water.
- In a pressure cooker, add soaked chana dal, dudhi pieces, turmeric powder, kashmiri red chili powder, ghee, and 1 cup water.
- Cover the cooker with a lid. Cook on medium heat for 3 whistles.
- Let the pressure go down by itself then open the lid and check dudhi and chana dal is properly cooked.
- Now in a mixing bowl, add turmeric powder, kashmiri red chili powder, coriander powder, cumin powder, and kasuri methi. Add ½ cup water and mix well. Masala paste is ready. Keep it aside.
- Then in a pan, add oil, cumin seeds, a pinch of hing, dry red chili, fennel seeds, and bay leaf. Sauté for a minute.
- Add ½ tsp ginger paste and green chili slits. Sauté for a minute.
- Then add the masala paste and sauté till oil separate from its sides.
- Now add tomato puree, some tomato pieces, and salt. mix well and cover and cook puree till oil separate from its sides.
- Add boiled lauki-chana dal mixture and mix well.
- Then add ½ cup water and mix.
- Cover and cook sabzi for 5-7 minutes on medium flame.
- Now add garam masala and jaggery. Mix well.
- Garnish with coriander leaves and serve.
- soak dal into slightly hot water to reduce its cooking time.
- cut lauki (dudhi) into medium size pieces.
- sauté masala in the oil gives nice color and flavor to the sabzi.
- cover and cook sabzi on low flame for 5-7 minutes so gravy becomes thick and masala flavor absorbs into dudhi chana dal.