Dungadiyu is one of the most unique kathiyawadi sabzi origins for Mahesana, Gujarat. It is a mix spicy shaak made with onion, tomatoes, green garlic and onion, cashews, papadi gathiya, and regular spices. It is easy, quick, and tastes delicious. Dungadiyu is served with bajri rotla, homemade butter, and jaggery to make a complete dish. Sometimes you are tired of having the same dishes all the time. You need change. That time make this spicy and tasty dungadiyu.
Dungadiyu recipe | kathiyawadi style dungadiyu recipe | how to make onion sabzi
- 8-9 or 240 grm small size onion
- 4 or 240 grm tomatoes
- ½ cup crushed peanut
- 1 inch ginger
- 7-8 garlic cloves
- 2 tbsp kashmiri red chilli powder
- ½ tsp turmeric powder
- 2 tbsp coriander powder
- 1 tsp cumin powder
- 1 tsp kitchen king masala
- 2 tsp jaggery
- 1 tsp dry mango powder
- 1 tsp pickle masala
- ¾ cup oil
- 1 tsp cumin seeds
- 2 cloves
- 2 dry red chilli
- 1 star anise
- 1 cup chopped green garlic
- 1 cup chopped green onion
- Salt to taste
- 2 chopped green chilli
- 3 tbsp curd
- ¼ cup cashew pieces
- ½ cup papadi gathiya
- Garnish with coriander leaves
- Cut small onion into 4 equal pieces.
- In a mixture jar, add tomatoes and blend into a puree.
- Now, crush ginger and garlic. Add red chilli powder and mix well.
- Take grinded paste onto a plate, add peanut powder, turmeric powder, coriander powder, cumin powder, kitchen king masala, jaggery, dry mango powder and pickle masala. Mix well. Masala is ready.
- Heat oil in pan; add cumin seed, cloves, dry red chilli, and star anise. Sauté for a minute.
- Add onion pieces and sauté till it becomes slightly golden brown and soft.
- Add green garlic, green onion and salt. Cook till it becomes soft.
- Add masala and cook till it separates oil from the sides of the pan.
- Add tomato puree and mix well. Cover and cook it for 2-3 minutes.
- Then add green chilli and mix well.
- Now, add curd and mix continuously.
- Add the required water to adjust the consistency of the sabzi.
- Lastly, add cashew pieces and papadi gathiya. Mix well
- Garnish with coriander leaves and serve dungadiyu with bajri rotla.
- onion and tomato proportion should be equal in grams.
- masala gives dhaba-style color and flavor to dungadiyu.
- dry spices give a nice aromatic flavor to dungadiyu.
- cook onion till it becomes soft and slightly brown.
- curd gives a creamy texture to dungadiyu.