Gathiya nu shaak and paratha are absolutely delicious one of the most popular meals in kathiyawadi cuisine.Gathiya nu shaak is a spicy and tasty sabji served with jeera coriander paratha. This recipe is very quick to make and with all the basic ingredients from your kitchen.
Please do visit my other related recipe collection like
Gathiya nu shaak with layered paratha | kathiyawadi gathiya nu shaak | jeera kothmir layered paratha
gathiya nu shaak
- 4 tbsp oil
- ½ tsp mustard seeds
- ½ tsp cumin seeds
- 1 dry red chilli
- 4-5 curry leaves
- ½ tsp ginger paste
- 2 chopped green chilli
- Pinch of hing
- 1 tsp dry garlic paste
- ½ tsp turmeric powder
- 1 tsp coriander powder
- 1 tbsp red chilli powder
- 2 cup buttermilk
- 1 cup water
- ½ tsp garam masala
- Some coriander leaves
- 1 cup gram flour
- ½ tsp ajwain
- Salt to taste
- ¼ cup or Water as required
Jeera kothmir layered paratha
- 2 cup for dought + ½ cup (for rolling) wheat flour
- 2 tsp cumin seeds
- 4 tsp oil
- Salt to taste
- ¾ cup water or as required
- 2 tbsp ghee + for shallow frying
- ¼ cup chopped coriander leaves
Gathiya nu shaak
- Heat oil in a pan, add mustard seeds, cumin seeds, dry red chilli, curry leaves, chopped green chilli, ginger paste, and pinch of hing. Sauté for a minute.
- Add dry garlic paste, turmeric powder, coriander powder, and red chilli powder in it. Sauté on low flame till oil separates from the sides of the masala.
- Add buttermilk and water. Keep the flame high and stir continuously till the mixture starts to boil.
- Keep the flame medium and in a mixing bowl, add gram flour, salt and ajwain. Add water gradually and make semi soft gathiya dough. Gathiya dough is too tough and not going through the holes then just add 1 or 2 tsp of water to make it a bit lose.
- Take the gathiya dough in your hands and place it on top of the holed spatula and then start pressing it using out fingers or using our palms.
- Once you have all of the dough run though the holed spatula then cover and cook for the next 6-7 minutes on medium flame
- After 7 minutes the gathiya is properly cooked, then add garam masala and coriander leaves. Mix well.
- Gathiya nu shaak is ready to serve.
Jeera kothmir paratha
- In a mixing bowl, add wheat flour, cumin seeds, salt and oil. Mix well
- Add water gradually and knead semi soft dough. Grease its surface with oil and rest dough of 10 minutes.
- Divide dough into equal parts and give it to round shape.
- Take one dough ball, Coat the dough with dry flour and roll it out into round shape thick roti.
- Apply some ghee, coriander leaves and dry flour on its top surface and fold it into half circle.
- Again spread ghee, coriander leaves and dry flour on it and again fold into a triangle shaped layered pattie.
- Coat it with dry flour and roll it out triangle paratha.
- Place it on a hot tava and cook over medium flame.
- Spread ¼ tsp ghee evenly on the surface and flip it and cook until golden brown spots appear on both sides.
- Serve layered paratha with gathiya nu shaak.
- stir continuously after adding buttermilk in shaak.
- A gas flame should be high when the addition of gathiya into shaak.
- cover and cook gathiya on medium flame.
- roast paratha on medium flame.