It is a simple and easy Gujarati curry recipe for rice or roti is made with black-eyed beans and regular spices. It is a mildly sweet, tangy, and spicy gravy-based curry recipe. It is simple to prepare and love by all kinds of age groups. So with a few basic ingredients try out Gujarati rasawala choda nu shaak or lobia masala.
The key to making tasty lobia masala at home are
- Soak lobia into slightly hot water to decrease its soaking time.
- Roasted besan gives thickness to curry.
- Along with lobia you can also add a potato for variation.
- Lastly, the addition of ghee tadka to curry, add more flavor and taste to it.
Please do visit my other related recipe collection like
Recipe card for lobia masala recipe
To pressure cook lobia (choda)
- 1 cup lobia
- 3 cup water
- Salt to taste
For tomato gravy
- 2 medium size tomatoes
- 1 green chilli
- 1 inch ginger
- 3-4 garlic cloves
For lobia masala
- 4 tbsp oil
- 1 tsp mustard seeds
- 1 tsp cumin seeds
- Pinch of hing
- 2 dry red chilli
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 medium size chopped onion
- 1 tbsp gram flour
- ½ tsp turmeric powder
- 1 tsp red chilli powder
- 1.5 tsp coriander powder
- ½ tsp cumin powder
- Tomato gravy
- Salt to taste
- 1 cup water
- ½ tsp garam masala
- 1 tbsp jaggery
- 1 tsp lemon juice
- 2 tbsp ghee
- ½ tsp red chilli powder
- In a pressure cooker, add soaked lobia, water, and salt. Close lid and cook chana on a medium flame for 3 whistles.
- When the pressure cooker cools down, check lobia is properly cooked or not and discard its water.
- In a mixture jar, add tomatoes, green chilli, ginger, and garlic. Grind it into a smooth paste.
- Now heat oil in the pan, add mustard seeds, cumin seeds, hing, dry red chilli, and bay leaf. Sauté for a minute.
- Then add gram flour and roast till it slightly changes its color.
- Take 3 tbsp water in a mixing bowl, add red chilli powder, coriander powder, turmeric powder, and cumin powder. Mix well.
- Add masala paste and roast till it oil separates from it.
- Then add tomato gravy and salt. Cover and cook till oil release from the sides of the gravy.
- Then add boiled lobia with water and mix well.
- Cover and cook 4-5 till the gravy thickens.
- Add garam masala, jaggery, and lemon juice. Mix well.
- Now heat ghee in a pan and add red chilli powder. Mix well and add tadka on rasawala chana masala. mix well.
- Garnish with coriander leaves and Serve with rice or roti.
- pressure cook chori (lobia beans) on medium flame
- masala paste gives dhaba style color and flavor to the sabzi.
- Lobia masala tastes great with jeera rice or roti.