Gujarati vaghareli khichdi is a tasty and quick one-pot meal that is mainly prepared from lentils and rice. It is flavored with aromatic tadka of ginger-garlic and dry spices. in this khichdi you can add your favorite available vegetables. It is light, good for digestion, and a healthy quick-fix meal for children. You can enjoy vaghareli khichdi with yogurt, papad and some pickle.
Gujarati vaghareli khichdi | how to make gujarati masala khichdi | khichdi recipe
- ½ cup short grain rice
- ½ cup toor dal split pigeon peas
- 3-4 chopped garlic cloves
- ½ inch ginger
- 1 green chilli
- 2 tbsp oil
- ½ tsp mustard seeds
- ½ tsp cumin seeds
- 2 cloves
- 3 black peppercorns
- ½ inch cinnamon stick
- 2 dry red chilli
- ½ cup or 1 small chopped onion
- Ginger garlic green chilli paste
- 2 tbsp peanuts
- ¼ cup green peas
- ½ cup or 1 medium size chopped tomatoes
- ¼ cup chopped carrot
- ½ cup or 1 small size potatoes
- ½ tsp turmeric powder
- 1 tbsp kashmiri red chilli powder
- ½ tsp cumin powder
- 1 tsp coriander powder
- ½ garam masala
- Salt to taste
- 2.5 cup water
- Wash and soak dal and rice in water. After that discard the soaking water
- Crush ginger, garlic, and green chili into a mortar pestle. You can also grind it into a mixture jar.
- Now heat oil in a pan, and then add mustard seeds and cumin seeds. Sauté for a minute.
- Then add cloves, peppercorns, cinnamon stick, and dried red chilli.
- Then add onion, crushed ginger garlic green chilli paste. Cook till onion becomes soft and translucent
- Add peanuts, fresh green peas, chopped tomatoes, carrots and potatoes. Mix well.
- Now, add spices turmeric powder, red chilli powder, cumin powder, coriander powder, garam masala and salt. Mix and cook for a minute.
- Then add soaked dal-rice and 2.5 cup water. Mix well.
- Cover the lid and pressure cook for 3 whistles on medium heat.
- Turn off the stove and release pressure naturally.
- Serve hot khichdi with curd and papad.
- The proportion of rice and dal should be equal.
- Soaked rice and dal decrease the cooking time of khichdi.
- You can add more vegetables as per your choice.
- The water ratio should be double the measurement of dal-rice.