masala bhat is a popular Maharashtrian rice dish made with special spice goda masala and vegetables. Goda masala gives nice authentic flavor to masala bhat. As the recipe for making this dish is simple, it saves you a lot of time.It is generally served for breakfast or lunch and is often termed as a lunch box recipe.
Recipe card for masala bhaat
For masala powder
- 1 tbsp coriander seeds
- ½ tsp cumin seeds
- ½ tsp seae sees
- 1 star anise
- ¼ tsp poppy seeds
- 1 black cardamom
- ½ inch cinnamon stick
- 4 cloves
- ¼ tsp black pepper
- 1 tbsp dry coconut
For masala bhat
- 2 tbsp oil
- ½ tsp cumin seeds
- 1 bay leaf
- Pinch of hing
- ½ tsp ginger paste
- ½ tsp garlic paste
- 2 green chilli slits
- 1 medium size chopped onion
- 1 medium size chopped tomatoes
- 1.5 cup mix vegetables potato, cauliflower, carrot, brinjals, green peas
- ½ tsp turmeric powder
- 1 tsp red chilli powder
- 2-3 tbsp special masala goda masala
- Salt to taste
- 1 cup soaked rice
- 2.5 cup water
- In a pan dry roast coriander seeds, cumin seeds, sesame seeds, star anise, poppy seeds, black cardamom, cinnamon stick, cloves, black pepper and dry coconut. Then grind into coarse powder and keep prepared masala aside.
- Now in a pan, add oil, cumin seeds, bay leaf, ginger-garlic paste and green chili slits. Sauté well.
- Then add onion and sauté till it is translucent.
- Add chopped tomatoes and sauté till it becomes soft.
- Then add mixed vegetables and mix well.
- Add turmeric powder, red chili powder, and prepared masala bhat masala. Sauté the spices on low flame for a minute.
- Add soaked rice and sauté for a minute.
- Then add 2.5 cup water and salt.
- Cover and simmer for 20 minutes till rice is properly cooker or absorb water.
- Then add 2 tbsp fresh coconut and chopped coriander leaves. Mix well.
- Serve masala bath with yogurt raita and onion salad.
- No need of other masala after adding special masala(goda masala) of masala bhat.
- Sauté soaked rice into oil, so oil coats rice properly.
- The ratio of rice and water should be 1:2.5
- Cook masala bhat on medium flame.