Methi dhoki nu shak is made with fresh fenugreek leaves, besan dhokli, and regular spices. Dhokli is a Spiced Gram flour dumpling added with fenugreek leaves (methi) to make it delicious and nutritious at the same time. It is a simple kathiyawadi-style curry recipe that is served with roti, paratha, or steamed rice. It is a very quick and easy-to-make recipe. Do try this!
The key to making tasty methi dhokli nu shak at home are;
- Firstly, use fresh fenugreek leaves for a rich flavor. Make sure to wash the methi well before chopping, and chop fenugreek leaves roughly. Do not chop them finely.
- I add besan dhokli with fenugreek leaves but you can add potatoes or soaked moong dal instead of it.
- I use slightly sour buttermilk in masala paste; it gives dhaba style taste and reduces the bitterness of methi leaves while cooking it.
- Lastly, methi dhokli nu shak tastes great when prepared slightly spicy.
Please do visit my other related recipe collection like
Methi dhokli nu shak | methi besan ki sabzi | methi besan sabji
For kathiyawadi garlic chutney
- 10-12 garlic cloves
- ½ tsp cumin seeds
- 1 tsp coriander powder
- 1 tbsp kashmiri red chilli powder
For masala paste
- 1 tbsp red garlic paste
- ½ tsp turmeric powder
- 1 tbsp coriander powder
- 1 tbsp red chilli powder
- 1 tsp jaggery
- ½ cup sour buttermilk
- 1 cup water - or buttermilk
- 1/8 tsp turmeric powder
- Salt to taste
- ¼ tsp red chilli powder
- 1 cup gram flour - besan
For methi dhokli nu shak
- 3 cup chopped methi leaves
- ¼ cup oil
- ½ tsp mustard seeds
- ½ tsp cumin seeds
- Pinch of hing
- 2 chopped green chilli
- 1 tsp ginger paste
- ½ cup tomato puree
- Salt to taste
- 1 cup water or as required
- Cooked dhokli
- ½ tsp garam masala
- Some coriander leaves
- Making methi dhokli nu shak
- Wash and roughly chop fenugreek leaves. keep it aside.
- For garlic paste, in mortal-pestal, add 10-12 garlic cloves, ¼ tsp cumin seeds, 1 tsp coriander powder, and 1 tbsp Kashmiri red chili powder. Crush it coarsely. Kathiyawadi garlic paste is ready.
- For masala paste, in a mixing bowl, add garlic paste, turmeric powder, coriander powder, red chili powder, jaggery, and sour buttermilk. Mix well. Masala paste is ready.
- Heat oil in a pan, add mustard seeds, cumin seeds, hing, chopped green chili, and ginger paste. Sauté for a minute.
- Now lower the flame, add the masala paste and sauté till oil separates from its sides.
- Add masala paste into oil and Sauté till oil separates from the sides of the masala.
- Then add tomato puree and mix well. Cook gravy till oil separates from its sides.
- Now add methi leaves and salt. mix well.
- Then add 1 cup of water and bring it to a boil. Cover and cook sabzi for 5 min on low flame.
- Meanwhile in a pan, add 1 cup water, turmeric powder, salt, red chili powder, and 1 cup flour. mix well and place pan on gas and cook on medium flame till mixture leaves sides of the pan.
- Spread dhokli mixture into a grease plate and cut it into cubes.
- Now, add dhokli into the sabzi mixture and mix well.
- Cover and cook sabzi for 3-4 minutes so masala flavor absorbs in it.
- Add garam masala and some coriander leaves. mix well.
- Serve methi dhokli nu shak with paratha, roti, or steamed rice.
- slightly sour buttermilk into masala paste gives Dhaba style taste to the sabzi.
- the proportion of flour and water should be equal in dhokli.
- stir continuously and cook dhokli mixture on medium-low flame.
- cover and cook sabzi on low flame, so gravy flavor absorbs into dhokli.
- methi dhokli nu shak taste great when it is served hot.