Methi matar malai is mildly spicy and creamy Punjabi curry made with fresh methi (fenugreek) leaves and green peas. It tastes great when served with Instant tandoori roti. Tandoori roti is a popular north Indian dish traditionally cooked in a clay tandoor. It is made with wheat flour and generally cooked on tawa at home. This recipe is easy and yields the perfect restaurant-style Punjabi combo of methi matar malai and tandoori roti at home.
Methi matar malai recipe | tandoori roti recipe | how to make restaurtat style methi matar malai and roti
For Methi matar malai
- 3 cup fresh methi leaves
- 1 cup fresh green peas
- 2 cup water to boil green peas
- 4 medium size chopped onion
- 8-10 garlic cloves
- 1 inch ginger
- 4 green chilli
- 8-10 cashews
- 2 tbsp watermelon seeds
- ¾ cup water for gravy
- 3 tbsp ghee
- 1 tbsp oil
- 1 tsp cumin seeds
- 2 green cardamoms
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 inch cinnamon
- White gravy
- ¾ cup water for sabji gravy
- Salt to taste
- ½ tsp garam masala
- ½ + ¼ tsp sugar
- ½ cup malai
- Garnish with coriander leaves
For tandoori roti
- 2.5 cup wheat flour
- Salt to taste
- ½ cup curd
- ½ tsp sugar
- 1 tsp baking powder
- ¼ tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp oil
- ½ cup buttermilk
- Wheat flour for dusting
- 1 tsp butter
For methi matar malai
- Heat ghee in a pan, and sauté methi leaves till it becomes soft.
- Now boil 2 cups of water in a pan, and add fresh green peas, salt, and sugar. Cook till it becomes soft.
- Heat 1 tbsp oil in a pan; add chopped onion and sauté till onion become soft and slightly golden brown.
- Add garlic, green chilli, cashews and watermelon seeds. Add ¾ cup of water and cook the mixture till cashew becomes soft.
- Grind the mixture into a smooth paste.
- Heat ghee in a pan, and add cumin seeds, cardamom, bay leaf, and cinnamon. Sauté for a minute.
- Add grinded paste and cook till gravy for 3-4 minutes.
- Add green peas and methi leaves. Mix well.
- Add ¾ cup of water and salt. Mix well.
- Cover and cook sabji for 3-4 minutes on low flame.
- Now add garam masala, sugar and ½ cup fresh malai. Mix well and cook it for 2 minutes.
- Serve creamy methi matar malai with tandoori roti.
For tandoori roti
- a mixing bowl, add 2.5 cup wheat flour and salt. Form a well in the center and add sugar, baking powder, curd, baking soda and oil. Mix well.
- Start mixing together and add about ½ cup buttermilk to knead a smooth dough.
- Once the dough is ready, place it into the pot and cover and keep it aside for 1 hour.
- After 1 hour, the dough becomes double in size and then divides the dough into equal parts.
- Dust with dry flour and roll the dough ball into a round shape about 1/8 inch thick.
- Also apple some water on the backside of roti. Now heat the tawa and place roti on it.
- Cook roti on medium flame and then flip and cook for 1 minute on the other side, until you see the upper side is fully cooked, and dark brown starts to appear.
- Remove from the pan and brush roti with some melted butter.
- Serve hot instant tandoori roti with methi matar malai.
- sauté methi leaves till it becomes soft and properly cooked.
- add sugar while boiling green peas help to retain their green color.
- sauté onion till it becomes soft and slightly golden brown.
- roasting dry masala in ghee gives a nice flavor to sabji.
- do not overcook sabji, after adding malai and garam masala.
- when baking powder and baking soda mix with curd, the mixture become frothy.
- knead the soft and smooth dough for tandoori roti.
- Rest the dough for 1-2 hours so it will properly ferment.
- cook roti on medium flame.