It is a tasty and quick snack recipe made with moong dal lentils (dal), vegetables, and regular spices. It is a healthy steam snack, which is gluten-free and rich in protein. It is enjoyed with any type of traditional chutney as an accompaniment or simply with tomato ketchup. This healthy dish is very easy to prepare and served hot for breakfast as well as light dinner. Do try this!
- Firstly, I made nashta with yellow moong dal, you can also use other lentils like green moong dal and chana dal instead of it.
- nashta batter has to be a thick and spreading consistency hence add water in small batches while grounding the soaked moong dal beans. Also, Whisk the batter for 3-4 minutes in one direction, so air particles incorporate into it and it becomes fluffy, which helps to make soft nashta.
- Take deep vessel for making nashta, so steam pressure will generate and nashta cook properly.
- Steam nashta on high-medium flame. do not steam it on low flame.
- Lastly, nashta tastes great when it is coated with tadka and served hot
Moongdal nashta | moongdal snacks | how to make moongdal nasta
- 1 cup soaked moong dal
- 3-4 green chilli
- 1 inch ginger
- ½ cup water or as required
- Salt to taste
- ¼ tsp turmeric powder
- ½ tsp black pepper powder
- ¼ cup chopped onion
- ¼ cup chopped capsicum
- ¼ cup chopped tomatoes
- Some coriander leaves
- Water for steaming
- 2 tbsp oil
- 1 tsp mustard seeds
- 1 tbsp sesame seeds
- Some curry leaves
- Some coriander leaves
- Wash and soak moong dal into slightly hot water for 3-4 hrs.
- Remove water with sieve and dal into mixture jar. Then add green chilli, ginger, garlic cloves and water.
- Grind dal into smooth and thick paste.
- Now, whisk batter for 5 minutes till it become light and fluffy.
- Then add salt, turmeric powder, black pepper powder, chopped onion, chopped capsicum, chopped tomatoes and some coriander leaves. mix well.
- Now in a deep bottom vessel (big patili) add 3 cup water and bring to boil.
- When water comes to boil, place grease plate on it and add batter with ladle and slightly spread it.
- Cover and steam nasta on high flame for 2 min. Then flip dish and again steam it again for 2 minutes. (refer video)
- It should take 4 minutes to properly steam. Check with knife, if it comes out clean then it is properly cooked.
- Make all nasta into same way. Allow it to cool for a while and Cut into pieces
- For tadka, in a pan add oil, mustard seeds, sesame seeds and curry leaves.
- Spread nasta pieces on it . flip and coat with tadka.
- Enjoy this delicious, healthy hot nasta with tomato ketch up.
- soak moong dal in slightly hot water to reduce its soaking time.
- do not add more water while grinding the batter.
- The consistency of the batter should be thick.
- make a thin layer of batter on plate.
- steam nasta on high-medium flame. do not steam it on low flame
- nasta taste great when it is slightly spicy and served hot.